Time for a 460 rebuild?????

K

kerf

I've got about 1400 miles on the R460 now and thinking about pulling the jug and installing a new ring. With my compression gauge "shoved" in the plug hole and three good pulls on the starter, I only get 100 psi. She's getting a little weak on bottom end and hills that I was pulling with ease at 38 degrees, are pulling her down at 65 degrees. I'm going to install the .005" copper cylinder gasket for more compression.

Anyone ever re-ringed the 460 without replacing the jug? The ring is less than $6, so trying the short route first, won't cost me much more than a little time.

What say you?

Can't answer about your exact engine but have put rings in several engines - ones that had a little bore wear and those that did not - all responded well.

My question may be academic. I pulled the muffler and don't like what I can see of the jug wall. Guess I'd better pull it down before ordering parts.

It's down and I got major scoring on the intake side of the bore. Wonder what DDM gonna hit me for two day Fed X.

Just a quick word about our friends at DDM and FedEx. DDM is in Utah, I'm in Alabama, like the old joke says "you can't get there from here". I'm going to the lake for a couple weeks or R&R and the bike goes with me, so a bad jug kinda hurts. Ordered my parts for the Chung Yang R460 Tuesday morning on-line, they were at my door before 10 AM Wednesday. Cost me $29 in shipping but I was between a rock and a hard place.

It is amazing at just how well American business can work. I came in from an installation yesterday, dog tired but a little grub and some adult beverages got me back on my feet. Jugs on and so is the lake.

Back