Time to serious up my light system

Well progress. Sort of. The motorcycle style control switch I have will not let enough volts or amps to run a marker light much less the headlight. Skinny assed wire is my guess. Any thoughts as to why this happened ? Electric challenged should be my new handle.

Something ain't right. A switch is either on or off. If it won't handle the current it'll just melt or burn up, but the light will shine bright until it does. Likewise with skinny wires.

Did your switch come with a wiring diagram?

Something ain't right. A switch is either on or off. If it won't handle the current it'll just melt or burn up, but the light will shine bright until it does. Likewise with skinny wires.

Did your switch come with a wiring diagram?
Unfortunately no it didn't. However, I would be happy with a, and I am guessing at the designation here, a dpdt switch on the control box. Here are some pics with a temporary wire up. Just see this head and taillight at night.

Attachments

• IMG_20180822_204145717.jpg
    IMG_20180822_204145717.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_20180822_203702796.jpg
    IMG_20180822_203702796.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_20180822_203743529.jpg
    IMG_20180822_203743529.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 202
I used a Suzuki knockoff control first and had to sort out the wiring, opening it up bcs it didn't follow the color wiring diagram. when i redid the controls, i went with a cheap T signal/horn for mopeds, much simpler

Since you're using LEDs the problem isn't current capacity. LEDs don't use hardly any, which is their advantage.

My system uses two switches: a SPST for on-off, then a DPDT center-off for hi/lo on the headlight.

That's what I like about them also. But still don't understand why the lights only came on at half or less power. Direct off the battery to the control box you can see them in daylight, which is useful in my opinion
Especially where required. Cool thing is when people ask about it and you get a mix of reactions from wtf to I gotta do this.

Unfortunately the Lithium battery is a hair longer than the sla I planned around and is right up against the negitive ground bar. Gotta move something. Maybe, just wondering, if you can stand the battery on end. Anyone care to chime in on that idea?

Back