Timing

DieselTech

Local time
12:12 PM
Ok guys today I got to play with ignition timing a bit, I went gentle & only retarded timing a 1/2 key width. Which in turn made quite a bit a difference in performance, it starts nicer, less vibration up top, & seems a little snappier. The other thing I did for fine tuning timing is drill the 4 magneto coil bolt holes out to 5mm, which gives you 3/16" of timing swing adjustment. Which gives you quite a bit of adjustability & it's easier to adjust that, than magnet for fine tuning. FYI yellow arrow is engine rotation. So I'm learning from you pros day by day.
20211014_182238.jpg

Yeah I've been wondering if you could use one of the gy6 5 or 6 pin cdi boxes? For changing timing curves for the rpm range or riding style that particular day

Thats my idea, one day i might be racing and want it more aggressive, the next i'm putting around so I want to retard her some for smoothness. I'll get it done one of these days. lol

Thats my idea, one day i might be racing and want it more aggressive, the next i'm putting around so I want to retard her some for smoothness. I'll get it done one of these days. lol
The higher your rpms the more retard you need. Because 2ts can turn pretty fast, you don't want it sparking off before it's had the time to compress.

The higher your rpms the more retard you need. Because 2ts can turn pretty fast, you don't want it sparking off before it's had the time to compress.
Do you know of any powered cdi that is relatively easy to adapt? Ive been looking at some, but have no idea which one would work best. Ik i need a spin disk to put a hall sensor in, but which cdi would be more in line with out engines is what I'm trying to figure out.

Do you know of any powered cdi that is relatively easy to adapt? Ive been looking at some, but have no idea which one would work best. Ik i need a spin disk to put a hall sensor in, but which cdi would be more in line with out engines is what I'm trying to figure out.
Not off hand, a dirt bike one might be adaptable.

Here is the cdi I was thinking of! I dont know if will need 5pin or 6pin cdi, i think the 5pin will work but will have to have a 12volt power source.
519RV7BL0IL._AC_SY580_.jpg

Attachments

• 51205IpWs1L._AC_SY580_.jpg
    51205IpWs1L._AC_SY580_.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 141
Here is the cdi I was thinking of! I dont know if will need 5pin or 6pin cdi, i think the 5pin will work but will have to have a 12volt power source.View attachment 159437
I'm ok with powered, need it for the hall sensor pick up. Just figuring out the one with the right curve to it is what im needing more info on.

Back