tip of throttle cable pops off the pin/hat setup when I try to pull the throttle

Ok with the cylinder out like in your photos, if you twist the hand throttle is the entire cylinder/needle moving up and down as it should when its in the carb. (hold the hood stationary when doing this) Also is the hand throttle snapping back to the orig position? It should.

Yup. I've opened up my air filter and looked in to see the pin moving up and down, but I don't see the END of the pin through the air filter, just the side of the pin moving up and down. But yes, even unscrewed it moves up and down.

Last edited:
ok, mechanically you seem ok. If theres no junk in the port hole, lets move on. Gas turned on-keep pushing the tickkler till float is full. (Gas finally dribbling out) Sometimes takes 100 pushes. Choke on 80% give it a good try. If this dosent work, check all wiring diconnecting the kill switch wiring it direct. Black to black blue to blue. Try it again. Then we'll move to the next step.

Ok, I'll try that tomorrow. (or I guess, technically, "today") I've never pressed the tickler more than 3 times. When you say "gas finally dribbling out"-- where would gas be coming out of? Maybe I'm too easy on the tickler.

well make sure your cable end is fully in the noch the washer with the slot is on top of your pin and the spring on top of that then most of all after putting it togther adjust your throttle slack you should hear the slide hit the top at full pull and hit the bottem when releasd(click-click) then you know you got full throw on the throttle. good luck hope this helps

Those are great pictures. The tickler just moves the diaphragm down so fuel can flow. You can just hold down the button till fuel comes out. Now if fuel does not dribble out after a couple of minutes you found your problem. You most likely have some debris where the gas goes in the carb. To completely clean it out take the carb off the engine,remove the float lever by sliding the retaining shaft from the float hinge,being careful not to bend anything and as you remove the float lever this little valve should slide out from the brass gas line. Then hit the hole with carb cleaner and put everything back together making sure that little valve is coming back in the same way. It's really simpler than it sounds. Get a clean table on a washable table cloth and scoot up a chair.
Now this is only if fuel isn't dribbling out. Then down the road,make sure you get a fuel filter in line of your fuel line to prevent this from happening again.
On my carb when I removed my float bowl the retaining shaft slipped off on it's own. Watch out for that. If you really don't want to remove your float hinge,you may get by with spraying the whole mess with carb cleaner from inside the carb out.

Don't worry. We'll help you get her running again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good. Does your gas trickle out?

If it does you should check for spark next.

Remember these Happy Times are simple little engines. The slightest things can make a small problem huge.

OK! New update-- the engine started. No problem. But it was idling extremely high, as if it was full throttle. I think my throttle cable was too short. Also-- the throttle cable end cap CONTINUALLY slips through the barrel no matter what I do. I'm thinking SOMEHOW my cable came a little too short. It's the ONLY thing that makes sense. So I went to Walmart, bought some brake cables, and assembled my own throttle cable, with a little more length. Right now, I'm trying to figure out just HOW much length to give it.

You guys were telling me "Do you hear a click when you pull and let go of the throttle"? I didn't know what click you were talking about, but NOW that I'm messing around with a longer cable, I KNOW I hear it. So my question now is... that "click" noise is obviously the barrel falling all the way down into the carb. Does that click resemble where "no twist of the throttle" should be, or does the throttle need to be set a smidge higher than that click?

If it's set at the click, I'm sure I can get this to run the right way.

Otherwise, I fixed the "slipping" issue with a new cable and some dremmel work! Works like a charm now!

Does that makes sense?

Back