Tips for Long Distance Traveling- WEIGHT CONTROL

Bama... How do you find your campsites? I've been wanting to do a trip, but finding enough legitimate campsites along the way seems difficult at best. Also, no national forests to camp in either. Did you you ever make it to CA? How were the roads there?

Bama... How do you find your campsites? I've been wanting to do a trip, but finding enough legitimate campsites along the way seems difficult at best. Also, no national forests to camp in either. Did you you ever make it to CA? How were the roads there?

"Leave nothing but footprints" is the guiding rule.

If I was going to list my priorities doing this solo touring, the top 5 would be:

1. Security - don't want anybody throwing the bike on the back of a truck, leaving me afoot.

2. Privacy - I'm not going to be singing my lungs out, so once I'm 100 yards off the road, rarely does a passing car notice.

3. Weather - if there is a chance of rain, I look for an abandoned property, with a porch I could use, a barn I could duck into. In super-windy Kansas, round hay bales provided the break.

4. Dry wood - I build a small Indian-style fire at 50% of the camps, and I make sure every indication of me being there is erased the next morning, washed away with the next rainfall.

5. Possible bike inspection/tuning/servicing - one time I rotated tires, another I rotated the belt, last trip fixed a brake pad. So I look for something with exposed rafters to sling the rope, or a good sturdy low branch.

Notice I'm not looking for shower privileges or handy vending machines. Parks or KOA campgrounds would be crowded and full of potential bike thieves. I stayed in one park in Oklahoma, and had a sheriff's patrol car come up, they didn't bother me, said they were looking for teenaged rowdies.

I will use a park during the day, but for pitching the tent, it has too many minuses. A ranger in the Okefenokee let me use their facilities, national forests seem more accessible, less traffic'd than parks & monuments.

I'm not looking for scenic postcard vistas either, 90% of the time in camp is in the dark, and I'm packing up when the pre-light of the sun appears, usually on the road when it first rises. I've gone up to an hour in the earliest mornings, barely seeing a passing car, truck, schoolbus or tractor, that's how ready I am to get moving.

The day of the week is important, I know Saturday and Sunday mornings will be the best days to tackle big cities, and plan accordingly.

Here in the south timber properties are abundant. Buncha carpet baggers are only paying a $2-3 an acre property tax, re-lease it to hunting clubs, so there is a very low guilt factor searching down a logging road.

That picture above, my pup tent in the green, green sudex grass?

That was 8-10 miles from Watkinsville, GA, a newish subdivision with 5 brick McMansions on the right, and empty 1.5 acre lots on the left. I hit it about 5:00 p.m., scouted it by going to the dead end, then chose the best "lot for sale". I heard the residents pass by, but then twas quiet after 7.

You gain more confidence by experience. Since I'm already on the rural two lanes, where the population is lowest, I might come to another narrower un-striped paved road, shoot up that a few minutes and come across a dirt road with no mailboxes...Eureka.

It used to be 50% of the time I'd pat myself on the back, found perfect situation, like a small holler protected by hills on three sides.

Nowadays, 75% of the time I'm very pleased with what I find.

Might as well relate a couple of unique situations....

If you've ever rode a train, the shantiest houses are near the tracks, but once you are outside city limits, you see a lot of nice spots.

In the Mississippi Delta it's rice and catfish farms, and I know what draws skeeters. But parallel to the US 4 lane highway was a railroad track. The highway was developed, little chance of finding a spot, unless I talked to a farmer. When it got pretty late, I came to a one lane road, went to the train tracks, did not have to plumph plumph plumph on the crossties very far, until I found a great spot. Only 2 trains passed that night.

Right before joining MB.com, (the trip where I lost all my pictures thanks to Google-Picasa), was the only time I camped in the same spot twice.

It was a perfect camp near Mt. Cheaha, so most of my gear was stashed beyond detection, and I climbed the tallest point in Alabama, then I did a loop into Lee/Randolph counties, carrying basically water, tool kit and camera.

It was a pleasant, light-weight day trip, secure in the knowledge that my stuff was well hidden. That was pre-tent, so if you are using a tent, you can put your clothes inside, then collapse the poles so it is extra-ly hidden, and not vacant/visible, sitting 3 foot above the ground.

Even though I don't cook in camp, you could use that Mt. Cheaha strategy to really explore an area over 4-5 days, bringing breakfast/supper on each return, then every morning head out in a different 50-100 mile loop, to sightsee, raft or fish.

Last edited:
Great reply. Sounds like the only real opportunities then are well away from the major hwy's. I have a china bike right now, so only short trips. GEBE one day...

bama when/where/what is your plans for your next trip?

The dream trip is to Minnesota and back, loop around the source of the Mississippi river (3,000+ miles over 2-3 weeks).

Life revolves around the meat goat market (100+ kids about to start hitting the ground) & Gr. Pyrenees puppy sales, which pushes me into May-June.

If nothing else, this year I hope to tour a lot of Tennessee, plus see if I can knock out some more Statelines Crossed (KY, OH, WV, IN, IL, VA ??)

3k in 3 weeks, that's some movin' for movin's sake...i still have no idea what form my style will take, i love the ride and can see myself sitting astride all day, but i also want to soak in some local flavor, plus i'm open to new opportunity as i find it.

i started looking at hobo code after you mentioned wayside markers...and imagined a bit about an MB population large enuff someday to warrant an MB-adaptation of the more common "signs".

i'll be collecting real names and phone numbers for my venture, and am beginning to doubt if i'll have much interest in running to the internet to update but rarely...

here's the rig with all the gear:
Mvc-020f.jpg
weight control...what's that?

packed deep is a survival selection for extreme cases, it includes an esbit stove like esteban mentioned, but new with 24 pellets...it's tested out to be a good performer, and i'm happy to be packing it just in case.

Last edited:
augidog I lover the hobo travel! I'm planning the same thing when it gets warm. The road is king! haha. I like your long frame build as well. I'm debating pulling a trailer, have heard different things about efficiently carrying gear with frame vs trailer, and I am wondering what made you chose to carry gear on the frame? You seem to have a lot of experience so maybe you could add some clarity to the muddy water. Thanks!

i spent 10 years as a "working transient"...backpacking & hitchhiking, and "manpower" in every city, or dishwashing was easy work to find too, and it usually came with food and beverage...you could still do that into the early 80's...i saw a lot of places & attended a lot of events, carried 70 lbs of whatever i considered worth lugging, like old-fashioned pup tent & GI mummy bag with the canvas cover...i confidently (naively?) slept wherever was most convenient & got really good at finding inner-city digs too.

bama's post
"Leave nothing but footprints" is the guiding rule.
hit the nail on the head as to how i got along so well back then. i snuck in, & i snuck out.

my MB-experience only looks extensive, as i've pretty much read every last technical thing ever posted on MBc...but i still have only the one bike & it took 3 years for it to build itself right.

now that i'm ready to scoot i'm starting to re-visit some of the traveling threads too with a new perspective.

the frame is stretched so i can ride it like a regular guy rides a regular bike...one more inch in the wheelbase or any rake and i wouldn't be able to turn around on a 2 lane road. the benefit of all the xtra frame space only made itself known after i went with Golden Eagle. i've no trailer experience at all, and since it's obvious i don't need one (i love how everything stows in its' own place so nicely) i figure why turn a 7' MB into a 10' "train" if i don't have to.

in the long run, this was almost all circumstance, with some opportunity & good luck thrown in...the parts for the bike came my way over a long time and from very different sources, there's no way anyone could have predicted then what she'd be like now...i'm well aware of my MB-blessings and am grateful...and boy do i ever love this MotoredBike, she can carry a lot of gear i'd rather not do without :cool:

Last edited:
Back