Tips for Long Distance Travels - MISCELLANEOUS

my baby's got a new necklace :)

after a lil' reflection, i decided this lucky-charm belongs to s-2 and not me...a mechanically-karmic piece of memorabilia from the wyman run....if rif wants, he can tell you the story about a farmer and an old bike in a junk-heap that saved the day...i bet he'll tell you why i put it up by the head-tube, too ;)
MVC-002F.JPG

:cool:

Last edited:
Whenever I travel my favorite thing to carry is money, and the little rectangular plastic kind is light, small, and accepted at most bike shops(essential to replace all the stuff that breaks and falls off) and the occasional hotel(not essential but a good nights sleep in a comfy bed cures many ills).

hi 'mike45: i don't know if you can still "work your way around" these days, it has to be tough compared to the 70's/80's...

i'm already blessed with a modest benefit check, direct deposit. the bike's built to last & i have an excellent support system. as far as digs go, so long as my tent's level i sleep like a baby...hot showers & laundry, tho, are things i don't intend to do without...and if luck's on my side i won't have to :cool:

and, per bama's tip #1...i carried a gallon of water with me, but it's not worth the space or weight...bottled water is cheap nowadays, carrying 4 bottles at all times seems to work pretty well. mooching one (offering to buy) when in need wasn't hard to do, either.

Last edited:
16 oz. of water will get you through the night, (and I'm a geezer who hates paying for water or air, so I get it at the last store-stop of the day).

The two or three times I forgot to fill up the h2o, I have some hard candy in the zip up shaving kit.

I always get a couple of snacks at that last stop. One time I got 3 bags of addictive Lance popcorn w/ white cheese, and being a pig that night, I ran low on water for the wake-up biz.

I take an aspirin and vitamin and generic Tums every morning, those are all in a mixed bottle in my kit also. My baby goats sometimes need a Pepto-Bismo tablet, and there are 3 (never used, thankfully), in the kit.

I buy one long candle, break it in two, pick up an alum. can nearby for a candle holder, so there is background light for hours at a time.

When planning for a campsite, especially when the towns are 30 miles apart, I prefer staying 10 miles from the "Welcome to" side of town rather than the "Just Leaving...." side.

That way, in the morning, the first cuppajoe is just over the horizon, and no U Turns are necessary. I get rid of last nights litter, adjust the load, add or subtract a layer of clothing, ask the locals for better routes than the map shows.

In fact, because I yak with so many locals, that "Welcome To" town is usually a pleasure, based on some cafe or museum folks tell me about the previous afternoon.

They might even give you the chef's first name, which gets you bigger portions on the grits and cheese.

Back