tips for riding in rain anyone?

T

twinkiex

I put plastic wrap around the magneto as the old posts say. I went through 6 inch puddles yesterday. Was actually fun! Any tips appreciated.
I wish people would slow down rather than speed up and soak me.:-/

Fenders http://ecom1.planetbike.com/fenders.html
I use Cascadia to keep the coastal roadside dirt/grit off of me, the rack mount engine and its air filter. I have yet to ride in heavy rain.

Lube all chains often, like just after the ride or during the ride if it is a long one.

Stay dry and warm. A trash bag poncho is good for a rush ride home but is never to be considered rainy day cycling wear. The same can be said for plastic shopping bag foot wear. ;)

Brake pads for disc or rim brakes are on offer in dual compound for wet or dry stopping power.

Post more details about your ride for better advice from those that ride similare machines.

i found fenders and a cheap rain suit are great. the rain suit will also block the wind. ref rain suit keep it away from the muffler they melt fast so a piece of velcro or something like that use on that side on your leg

I silicone the magneto cover area to keep it waterproof. I have rain gear with pants that can go in my tool pouch when needed.
I love riding in the rain. It's a thrill.
It's a thrill for I have absolutely no brakes.
No brakes at all.

tips?

go slower than you would usually and more carefully - that nice shallow looking puddle might be there because underneath it is a nice large pothole...

LIGHTS - you need to be seen in bad weather - being punted off the road by a car can be hazardous to the health..

Fenders are a must lol - being rained on from above and below is not fun at all..

If you have rim brakes give yourself more time to stop - water will get on them ... with the coaster/roller and drum/disc this is less of an issue...

surprisingly the engines I have had so far are pretty rain resistant - I have ridden sans covers and have had no problems with water ingress or overheating... but its probably a good idea to cover the engine if its standing outside

Jemma xx

Rode in the rain today, watch out while turning onto sealcoated blacktop.
It can be as slippery as ice. My new rode rash is testament to that. I thought I had some tires that would be pretty good on wet pavement, there I go thinking again.
Anyone have any good wet conditions tires that they use reliably on pavement?

well i do 30 in the rain the only advice i have make sure your man hood is screwd on tight and plenty of stoping distence later

Anyone have any good wet conditions tires that they use reliably on pavement?

We'll I comment a newbie error, and did not search deep enough for tires.
This forum has many posts on tires. Sorry about the mistake.:oops:

columbia "ibex" full rainsuit, that's my tip...i rode in 60mph rainy gusts today, my toes and nose were wet, the rest was dry :)

tail-winds rock, head-winds don't :devilish:

While I have tried to avoid riding in the rain or when it is almost a certainty, I have found that my glasses hare hard to see through when they get wet.....I am wondering, if Rain X would possibly help?......I know I have used Rain X on my truck's windshield and it causes the water to bead up and roll off without even using the wipers so long as you are moving at a moderate speed...Anybody ever try it with eyeglasses while riding....if it works as well as on a windshield that would help eyeglass wearers.
Andrew

Back