Tire compounds

try 1897

Local time
1:20 AM
Anybody know about tire compound ratings. Where to buy hard comp tires . What the numbers meen etc. (Well Chumley perhaps we should go see the professor)

I don't know of any bicycle tires with compound ratings that actually mean anything for us MaBers.
Schwalbe has "e-bike rated" tires with speed ratings for 25KM/h and 50KM/h (~16 and ~31MPH):

FD guys usually just go with trial and error, since FD tends to wear certain tires out much faster than normal. Tires are subjective, after all. My own experience so far has shown me that the CST C1218 is the most durable bicycle tire of many I've tried. I've put well over 10K miles on a set on a pedal bike in the 90's and the set I have on my MaB is 6 years old, with over 5K miles, still have plenty of tread. Friend of mine tried a C1218 on the rear of his FD and loves it so far. Basically the bicycle equivalent of a big-rig tire :LOL:

CST C1218 Pros:
-Relatively inexpensive (usually under $20)
-Durable tread, decent flat resistance
-Available in black, red, or blue colors
-Roll quite nicely at 65psi

Cons:
-Not for hard cornering (square shoulder profile)
-Heavy compared to many modern tires
-Lousy traction on anything but dry streets
-Stiff ride with 65psi

I've found with tires that durability and grip don't go hand in hand. If you want a tire that will last forever you won't have a grippy tire, and if you want grip then it wears faster. You gotta find the best tire that fits your riding style. If you lean hard you will want to go for grip. If you ride casually and just cruise, then go for durability. I'm hoping that a tire company comes out with bicycle tires rated for 50-70 mph, they just need to see a big enough of a customer base before doing any r&d.

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
I don't know of any bicycle tires with compound ratings that actually mean anything for us MaBers.
Schwalbe has "e-bike rated" tires with speed ratings for 25KM/h and 50KM/h (~16 and ~31MPH):

FD guys usually just go with trial and error, since FD tends to wear certain tires out much faster than normal. Tires are subjective, after all. My own experience so far has shown me that the CST C1218 is the most durable bicycle tire of many I've tried. I've put well over 10K miles on a set on a pedal bike in the 90's and the set I have on my MaB is 6 years old, with over 5K miles, still have plenty of tread. Friend of mine tried a C1218 on the rear of his FD and loves it so far. Basically the bicycle equivalent of a big-rig tire :LOL:

CST C1218 Pros:
-Relatively inexpensive (usually under $20)
-Durable tread, decent flat resistance
-Available in black, red, or blue colors
-Roll quite nicely at 65psi

Cons:
-Not for hard cornering (square shoulder profile)
-Heavy compared to many modern tires
-Lousy traction on anything but dry streets
-Stiff ride with 65psi
Aleman I looked at the CST tires and found the C 241 that looks exactly like the WTC sup -per -tire that worksman puts on these bikes.wtc wants 39.95 for 26" 2 .125 and 29.95 ea. For the two rear. 24" 2 .125s . I couldn't seem to find the price of the C241 on the CST site ? You think they are the same? Cheaper? The WTC tires last forever. Same compounds ? Tom

AFAIK that was originally a Goodyear design and has been cloned more than a few times in different colors at varying levels of quality over the years. The tire that gafr60 posted is yet another one, looks like a good value. I run a $16 Fenix Wanda clone of that tire in 26x2.125 light grey on my lowrider bike and they seem to be pretty soft, there's definitely no Kevlar in em!. Almost 500 miles and the rear is nearly half-worn. They are quite grippy tho, I'll give them that.

I've never used an actual CST241, but I'd expect them to be considerably better quality than most others. Amazon has them listed for ~$26. If you need 26", I'd try the ones on gafr60's post.

AFAIK that was originally a Goodyear design and has been cloned more than a few times in different colors at varying levels of quality over the years. The tire that gafr60 posted is yet another one, looks like a good value. I run a $16 Fenix Wanda clone of that tire in 26x2.125 light grey on my lowrider bike and they seem to be pretty soft, there's definitely no Kevlar in em!. Almost 500 miles and the rear is nearly half-worn. They are quite grippy tho, I'll give them that.

I've never used an actual CST241, but I'd expect them to be considerably better quality than most others. Amazon has them listed for ~$26. If you need 26", I'd try the ones on gafr60's post.
Ok thanks I'll ✔them out. If I test a few and find one in a harder compound I will but several and store them. My fric drive even with the smooth skate wheel roller eats soft compound walmart tires. It's a heavy bike and load.Pretty amazing really worksman bike weight capacity 550 lbs. Plus the weight of the bike . Powered by a bike bug classic 1970s engine with point eight hp. Runs smooth and solid at 20 mph as fast as I want to go on an old heavy weight trike. I don't carry that much weight but have had it pulling a kayak on a trailer. I weigh 220 so the thing impressed me. Thanks again . Tom

Back