Tire Dressing

Nickt919

Local time
3:23 AM
Yesterday I cleaned the bike up a little and decided to focus on the tires. After a good cleaning I dug up some tire dressing. Stuff similar to Armor All… Wet n Black.
I do not buy stuff like this but my dad used to and so does my stepdaughter’s boy friend. So it was here and I used it.
I did both tires. They came out looking great but during the application I noticed the stuff on my hands felt slippery as silicone liquid….didn’t think much of it though.

I put the bike up and went about my daily chores. Later in the afternoon I took the bike for a cool off ride.

The first rolling turn… as soon as I laid the bike over in the turn the front tire washed out so fast it was unreal.
Like I was on ice or an oil slick.

My first spill on a motorized bicycle.

Not much damage to the bike.. few scratches and a bent handle bar. Straightened the bar and touched up the scratches with a Sharpie felt tip pen.

Me.. brush burns on one knee, one elbow, and a forearm.. major damage to my pride.

I felt like an idiot to say the least.
I should have known better.
It would have helped to read the tire dressing label too. 🙄

So fellas… I hope others read this and do not become a blooming idiot like me. Read the labels and THINK beforehand as you do things with these bikes. 💩 happens fast!

Attachments

• IMG_5430.jpeg
    IMG_5430.jpeg
    93.8 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_5431.jpeg
    IMG_5431.jpeg
    116.6 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_5432.jpeg
    IMG_5432.jpeg
    147.1 KB · Views: 61
Yeah, tire dressing is very slick.

I use 303 protectant on my tires (mostly sidewalls), and it doesn't make them slippery. It also gives the rubber a more natural kind of shine and doesn't attract dust and dirt like most tire shines.

I pretty much use this stuff for everything plastic and rubber.

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
I would usually just do side walls but…
Strong winds…stuff went all over when I sprayed it..so to make all uniform I did the whole tire.
Like I said in my first post.. I do or should KNOW BETTER..
live and learn. Never stop learning.

Thank god I was not going faster than I was. I did get a vicious forearm burn but it could have been much worse.

The stuff did make the tires look some good though.

I would usually just do side walls but…
Strong winds…stuff went all over when I sprayed it..so to make all uniform I did the whole tire.
Like I said in my first post.. I do or should KNOW BETTER..
live and learn. Never stop learning.

Thank god I was not going faster than I was. I did get a vicious forearm burn but it could have been much worse.

The stuff did make the tires look some good though.
Yeah, that tire shine stuff I'd only use on things with 4 wheels. They made my go kart tires look off the shelf new

I did something similar with armor-all and a motorcycle seat,no butt traction at all.
My kid brother did that for me once. I'd paid him to wash and detail my street-converted tz700. Needless to say, first time i gassed it i ended up on my a$$ in the middle of the street.... He was a long time paying for that one 🤣

My kid brother did that for me once. I'd paid him to wash and detail my street-converted tz700. Needless to say, first time i gassed it i ended up on my a$$ in the middle of the street.... He was a long time paying for that one 🤣
Yes… slick as goose 💩

Like being on ice. On ice you’re aware of no traction.
Silicon on a tire… oblivious to it if you’re a bone head like me.

Back