Tire is always going flat. What am I doing wrong?

Also check
If you run 1.95 I would say buy solid no air no flat tire. You probably have a thorn in your tire run your fingers through the the tire remove it.
Your valve stem with soapy dish water poor some in the stem if it bubbles you got troubles either tighten or replace or remove clean the slime and to make due get a cap screw it down hard poor soapy water over it make sure no air escapes.

Folks who use slime are slimy. I don't understand people who use that crap. After a flat that stuff is horrible to clean the tire and rim, just nasty. Most auto tire places will charge extra 1/2 hour labor to deal w/each rim w/that crap in it or not at all. Live and let live philosophy doesn't apply to slime at all. There, I feel better, nuff said!

Folks who use slime are slimy. I don't understand people who use that crap. After a flat that stuff is horrible to clean the tire and rim, just nasty. Most auto tire places will charge extra 1/2 hour labor to deal w/each rim w/that crap in it or not at all. Live and let live philosophy doesn't apply to slime at all. There, I feel better, nuff said!

I've been using Slime since the late 1980's, it's worked great for me ever since. I've had tubes last for over 10 years, even with over a dozen punctures in them. If you get a real nasty tube cut that won't seal, yeah, it'll make a big mess. But Slime washes off with a garden hose and light scrubbing, even if it's dried. It's simply liquid latex with coloring added. That said, I know it's not for everyone, I would definitely not use it on a "race bike" for example.

The Fix-A-Flat stuff is a different animal. It uses a latex formula to seal a tire and a gas to keep a tubeless tire inflated, it doesn't work on tubes. That stuff makes an unholy mess inside a tubeless tire and, like Slime, makes patching just about impossible. I've worked as a automotive tire buster before and seen that crap in action. *shudders, does a thousand mile stare

that stuff has saved me more times than I can count.

Same here. My current pedal bike, which is 8 years old, has 700c-23 tires which have never had tubes or tires replaced yet. I Slime'd them as soon as I got the bike. 4 years ago, a friend of mine borrowed my bike, brought it back to me with 2 flat tires and goatheads sticking out everywhere. I swear he looked for goathead bushes. I pulled out all the goatheads I could find, aired up both tires and took the bike for a ride. Those tires still hold air to this day.

Edit: I always use quality tubes and Slime them myself. Pre-Slime'd tubes are a waste of money, IMO, they use a crappy tube and not enough Slime.

Last edited:
I once had tires that kept going flat on a double walled rim. Where the spokes went into the rim there was little small metal shards around the holes. So I removed the spokes and cleaned the shards out, relaced the wheel; problem solved. Still have the wheel on my bike.

Look for where the hole is on the tube and then mark the whole. Lay the tube on the rim lining the valve stem up with the stem hole. Then inspect that area of the rim for anything sharp.

A simple way to look at it is where the holes are then you can determine if it's a problem with the rim and/or liner or the tire. Unless you're really bad at putting a tire on and are getting pinch flats. I never use slime, it's a complete waste of money.

Last edited:
When I built my 4-stroke shifter back in 2010, I used Bontrager Hank tires on my re-spoked Weinmann DH-39 wheels. The tires fit very nicely and had immense dry grip. However, I got 8 or 9 flat tires on the rear in the first 2 years. Every one of those was a ripped valve stem. All but one time, I got home because of the Slime, then tire went flat and bled out of the stem area overnight.

What was happening was that so much torque was being generated off the line that the tire would actually rotate on the rim, which would cause the valve stem to start creeping out of the ideal 90-degrees and eventually rip the tube if not caught. One time it happened immediately after recording my best 0-30MPH time, and nearly happened again after demonstrating that a Huasheng bike can do a wheelie. I ended up installing a throttle limiter because I never really needed full throttle on my bike.

I've seen tube/tire creep on even pedal bikes, and I'd wager that with the quality of disc braking available nowadays, it could even happen in reverse. Not as much of a problem with Presta tubes, it's a Schraeder thing. I spose that's another thing to check if you get a lot of flat tires. Keep an eye on valve stem position, 90-degrees is best. If your valve stem starts angling off, ripped tube happens next.

Stan's No Tubes system has it's valve stem built into the rim strip. My next tire change, I'll be switching to it.

Whem I raced bmx tioga comp 3s would slip on my back rim. Switched to some GT tires and the problem stopped.

If you run 1.95 I would say buy solid no air no flat tire. You probably have a thorn in your tire run your fingers through the the tire remove it.
problem isnt the innertube but the outside tire. What ya do is take your whole wheel with the tire and innertube and inflate it to 60psi or up. Then u should hear a hiss as the air escapes from the hole in the tube, then find it via your hearing and place your finger on the spot in the tire where the air is filling out. Mark this area with tape and patch the tire with some sort of rubber cement or something.... Then replace the innerube

fix-a-flat makes a REAL mess. I mistakenly used some to limp me home one day. didn't realize it was a snake bite "rim flat". holy dripping, sticky, smelly mess. slime can be messy,... but not like fix-a-flat. the ONLY good thing about fix-a-flat is that since it's so sticky,...it WILL fix a nail hole. and inflate your tire. but when you get another flat someday,...just take the tire and tube and don't even look. just toss it. the tube will be glued to the inside of the tire,...solid. so youre shortening the actual service life of your tube/tire by using it,.... because it's one and done.

Last edited:
OK you guys got me. My experience comes from FIX a FLAT years ago working at a Goodyear tire store. Maybe slime a tube is better to work with.

Back