Tire & Rim Liners

FrizzleFried

Local time
11:17 AM
It seems that there are plenty of companies out there that are willing to separate me from my hard earned dollar... I figured I'd run a couple questions by the community before I spend my money.

(1) - Rim Liners ... YES or NO? I assume YES as I can't see a down-side for using them on a spoked rim. Cheap enough as well...

(2) - Tire Liners ... this is the one I'm more interested in. Both for me... and for my kid on his regular bike that seems to get a flat every other week. YES or NO on tire liners for the motor bike and for a regular ole 24" mountain bike. These guys are a bit more expensive coming in at around $18-$24 each wheel. Quite the expense, but quite the benefit ... if they work. The motor bikes are road-only... we don't plan on doing much dirt riding... my kids mountain bike? Yeah... as I said... every couple weeks it's a new flat. I think his back tube is up to six or seven patches... or was that eight?

It seems that there are plenty of companies out there that are willing to separate me from my hard earned dollar
You mean that they are not charitable organsiations???...lol.

Rim liners, Yep...I have never needed tire liners because I use Kevlar tires and double thick Slime tubes...As I have mentioned many times before, I never seem to get flats at all for almost 7 years now...I have a spare set of Kevlars and tubes just in case, those spares have over 3,000 miles on them and have barely used a quarter of their thread...I have nothing but mesquite thorns and goatheads here in the high desert so that is my personal experience.

I have given you the lists before of everything I use complete with the URL links, I do not think I could make it any easier.

Changing a rear flat is nothing short of a PITA. Rim liners are a good idea. They keep the tube from rubbing on the end of the spokes and don't cost much. I also found some cheap tire liners on Amazon for about $10 that work well for me. I don't ride off road either, but one sticker on the edge of the road can ruin your afternoon. I once pushed my ride home 3 miles on a hot afternoon. I don't carry tools and like I said, mine is a pain to change and no way could I do it out on the road.

Well.. you'll be walking with out any tools to possibly fix things. As proven!

I have never used any kevlar liners, just kevlar tires. I haven't had a flat in over a year n half, and I ride some dirt roads with some heavy loads as well.

I guess this doesn't help much. Lot of people like that slime stuff

If price is an issue, I think a few layers of masking tape around the wheel over the spoke ends would be as good as a rim liner. When we were kids growing up tube liners and Kevlar tires were a thing of the future and we still rode every day. Take your chances and re-evaluate your decision the next time you're changing a flat.

The name SLIME pretty much describes the mess you'll deal with. Not for me..........but that's my personal feeling. It might work.

I don't use Slime in my Whizzer M/B tires but I use slime in my Fat tire E bike 4" tires.
I rarely get flats on my Whizzer as I ride in the lane. But sh^t happens, always a nail, screw or tack
Slime didn't work on my M/B tires
I hit something that made about a 1/16" hole The high PSI in the tire just squirted out the slime and I still got a flat.

The slime works good on my Fat tire E Bike 4" tires with 20 PSI
I had a 1/8" stick in my tire and I made it home Actually I didn't even know the stick was in my tire until I got home and noticed a wet spot from the slime on my tire,
My Kendal Juggerknot 4" tires has a kevlar tire liner built into the tire but a sharp stick still poked through.
Lucky I had the slime in my tires, It's saved me a few times. Of course I patch the tube at my leisure if I notice a a slime wet spot on the tire

Here's a warning about using BLACK TAPE as a rim liner.

I was in desperate need of a rim liner so I used black tape.
A couple months later I got a flat. There was a 1" split in the tube like it was cut with a razor knife.
This confused me because I just put in a new tube a couple months ago. I just figured it was a defective tube.
A couple days later it happened again, there was a 1" cut in the tube in exactly the same spot as the last time.
Now I knew something was up. I felt with my fingers inside the rim looking for what caused the cut in the tube.
I found it when it sliced my finger open like a razor blade. It was the black tape. The black tape had dried hard and an edge of the black tape had curled up and it was sharp as a razor blade. I ordered the correct size rubber/cloth rim liner and installed it right away.
Now I use nothing but the original rubber/cloth rim line.

But I do hear Gorilla Tape works well as a rim liner, It don't turn hard and change into a razor blade :LOL:

Here's a warning about using BLACK TAPE as a rim liner.

I was in desperate need of a rim liner so I used black tape.
A couple months later I got a flat. There was a 1" split in the tube like it was cut with a razor knife.
This confused me because I just put in a new tube a couple months ago. I just figured it was a defective tube.
A couple days later it happened again, there was a 1" cut in the tube in exactly the same spot as the last time.
Now I knew something was up. I felt with my fingers inside the rim looking for what caused the cut in the tube.
I found it when it sliced my finger open like a razor blade. It was the black tape. The black tape had dried hard and an edge of the black tape had curled up and it was sharp as a razor blade. I ordered the correct size rubber/cloth rim liner and installed it right away.
Now I use nothing but the original rubber/cloth rim line.

But I do hear Gorilla Tape works well as a rim liner, It don't turn hard and change into a razor blade :LOL:
You could use electrical cloth tape first, then use electrical rubber tape (not standard vinyl electrical tape), followed by another layer of electrical cloth tape.

Back