Tire Roller Engines?

Flattracker

Local time
3:52 PM
I'm thinking building a rear mount engine tire roller for my 'Next' brand DS MTB.

But I am leery of the tire rollers. When I had a 12v generator on my bike as a kid I noticed a wear pattern on the tire where the gen wheel contacted the tire.

Also that gen didn't spin very well on rough tread tires or when the roads were wet/damp from rain, and would just rub against the tire gouging it.

How are the friction roller engines any different? Any "EXPERIENCED" friction rollers out there?

Um...I think this is an obtuse way of asking advice about friction drives, but honestly, I'm not sure. This is what I think you want to know. Yes, friction drives are an effective and reliable way to motorize your bike. Tire wear is minimal. Search this forum for much more information. It's a great resource.
-Mike

I think this is an obtuse way of asking advice about friction drives

No sir, not obtuse. Just my choice of vernacular. Its clear that my intent and meaning was well communicated to you as indicated by your recognition and response of, and to the term that I used. I am a Texan, and as such we Texans may not tend to use terms most easily understood by foreigners (all not born and raised in Texas). "Tire rollers" are what they are, and you are correct sir, in what I am requesting information about. Thank you for your response. Your obtuse remark is noted.

Last edited:
Search thru the " Friction Drive forum, " here for plenty of info. When used CORRECTLY, a friction drive causes slight wear on a tire, NOT " chewing " the tires up, like some may say. When pavement is wet, more pedalling is needed & ease back on the throttle.

Back