Tire Sizes - Too big?

Rusty_S85

Local time
9:21 PM
Before I go ordering my rims this week I want to ask so I know fully.

I was originally looking at 26"x2.125" tires on a 2.125" rim.

Thing is on a 150mm drop out GT2A frame with a Sunlite Deluxe Springer fork, what would be the absolute widest tire one could run front and rear without any issues of rubbing?

Ive heard some swear they were able to run a 3" tire while others claim they rub on the forks. I know the rear Grubee claims the frame is designed to handle up to a 3" wide tire but not sure on this either.

Want to get the widest tires I can that will fit front and rear without headaches.

Bicycle-Engines says a 150mm drop out can accept up to 2.25" wide tires. The rear drop out looks about the same width as the front forks and ive seen people over on the RatRod Bikes forum state they have used 3" wide tires on the Sunlite forks as they have a wider 90mm width. But I also seen people on the same forum claim the 3" wide tires rubbed the primary fork or the secondary fork. The pictures Ive seen posted of 3" wide tires was also on a 24" wheel which I don't want to run. But the 26" he had as a test was for a 2.35" wide and it looked to have a good amount of room.

Last edited:
Back