Tires Tire Wear [sidewall failure]

I work for a tire store, and I was looking in the Dead Tire bin for something. I saw a Specialized Armadillo tire in there! haha. It was dried up, but the casing was intact and strong. The rubber tread was bald and was peeling from the casing in places. The casing had a feel like fiberglass. It was a 700c x28 or 32 tire.

Where can you buy these?

Any bike shop that carries Specialized Bicycles or I'm sure you could find them from any # of online stores. As a last resort you can get them direct from Specialized thru their web site. http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCEqSection.jsp?sid=EquipTires26_Flat&eid=5098&menuItemId=9304

ocscully

Last edited:
I've had good luck with Kenda Kwest slicks, 1.95 x 26, but running them with the thick thorn proof tubes and at 60psi.

I was interested in the Specialized mostly for pedal bike use. I'm shopping for a friction drive and kind of afraid it might actually "chew up" a $40 tire.
If I get one, I think I'll start with the $8-10 Cheng Shen classic gummy tires and see what works. I have been advised to take off pedalling and then give it gas, and not goose the throttle.

But the flat protection of the Specialized looks promising.

Last edited:
Happy...I bought a pair of Specialized Armidillo tires for my bike after many flats with the stock Shwin and another new set of tires..well worth the money..450 miles thru all kinds of stuff on the road and thru the crushed sometimes razor sharp crushed shells we have on the trails down here in Florida...One month after I crashed this MB and made the front wheel look like a flattened pretzel I finally went out to my garage to look at the bike and the tire was still on that rim and inflated and looked good...I would definitely use them on a friction drive..Tried to find them for my new tadpole trike but I don't think they make them in 20inch ..

After 4 flats on my DE setup I decided to go to war on flats. Both wheels got stop flat tire liners and thorn resistant tubes and I havnt had a flat yet in 2 years. Funny added benefit of the rear beefed up wheel is that it helps the friction drive in performance by making the surface of the tire really stiff. Both of my rear tires are chensing(?) 26/2.125 semi slicks and theres hardly any noticeable wear on them yet after hundreds of miles. These tires are cheap around 10 bucks at niagra cycles.

A bit concerned...

Wow, I was bummed to read that you had probs with the Kenda K-Rad's, I'm running the 26x2.30's front and rear with great results. Now I'm hoping the sidewalls don't fail as yours did...any thoughts? :confused:

Cheers, scotto-

Back