TIRES

A

AZURE

I have been riding my motorized bike for a couple years now, and I am wondering:

Is there a Better Tire that I can buy that Does Not Wear Out so easily? I normally get about 4 - 6 (standard 1.5L) Tanks of gas with my bike before I HAVE to Replace the Rear Tire, Because it is BALD AS f**k!

I normally get my tires at the local Walmart, Bike store, where ever I can find them really, but they all wear out at about the same rate.

The only thing I can really think of is to go to a Car Tire Manufacturer and ask them to make me a few Custom Tires with their Mid Range Car Tire Rubber.

Any/All help with this problem is Highly appreciated.

samuelric

I actually prefer getting tires from an aftermarket site. I have an experience ordering mud tires from 4wheelonline and it is better than getting it from Walmart. You can try to browse their catalog. I believe they have the tires you need for your bike as well.

Lloyde

I actually prefer getting tires from an aftermarket site. I have an experience ordering mud tires from 4wheelonline and it is better than getting it from Walmart. You can try to browse their catalog. I believe they have the tires you need for your bike as well.
Samuelric, I'm not sure if you understood the post.

1. I posted this using a guest account because I couldn't remember my login info.

2. I clicked the link you imbeded in the words "mud tires", and it sent me to a CAR/TRUCK tire site, I need BICYCLE tires because of the previously mentioned fast wear down rate.

3. After looking at that site, were you perhaps sugesting that I get Dirt Bike tires? Will they fit a normal 26" mountain bike rim? I honestly never tried.

Pic of current rear tire becoming bald, I checked it yesterday and it was OK with some tread on it, but now I have to run to the store and get a new tire because of no tread & showing the under layers of rubber.

Attachments

My favorite set of tires for a 26" rim are the GEAX Street Runner, the bike I have now I found with them on it. The tire has a low rolling resistance and is great for grip (Not for anything more offroad than some dirt though) the only problem for me is that they only come in 26" not 27.5.

outatime88

Recently started using WTB Thickslick 2.0 tires. No need to worry about them going bald since they come that way :)

Lloyde

How much pressure are you running in that? With the extra weight of an engine you need to pump 'em right up. That's a hell of a lot of wear.
Well, let's see, I pump up the tires to about 40psi (40-65psi is what the sidewall of the tires say), last time i checked I am about 185lbs, the bike is around 60lbs, plus 20-50lbs for whatever military safety gear I need for the day, and a spare tank of gas (in case I misjudged the fuel level before I set out on a ride).

So worst case scenario I am riding somewhere around 300 lbs.

Now that I look at these numbers, I may try pumping it up to 60psi and see how fast it goes bald. I will keep y'all posted.

300 pounds is a lot to ask from a regular bike tire, especially at speed.

If you have room in the frame, put a fat tire on there, like a 26x3, and pump it up to 35-40 psi. I run a 24x3 on my big girl. The bonus is you get a nice soft ride because of the extra air volume. If you can't fit a 26x3, maybe a 26x2.5, or whatever will fit. I don't know if your tube will take 60 pounds. If it's a good 'un it might.

Lloyde

300 pounds is a lot to ask from a regular bike tire, especially at speed.
If you have room in the frame, put a fat tire on there, like a 26x3, and pump it up to 35-40 psi. I run a 24x3 on my big girl. The bonus is you get a nice soft ride because of the extra air volume. If you can't fit a 26x3, maybe a 26x2.5, or whatever will fit. I don't know if your tube will take 60 pounds. If it's a good 'un it might.
Oddly enough it is only the back tire that is wearing out super fast.
Last year i put on new tires for the front and back at the same time and haven't needed to change the Front tire yet.

I just tried looking for the x2.5 and x3 and didn't come up with anything, but did find lots of tires for 26x4, i'll buy the fat tires next time and see how they work in comparison to the 26x2.125s that i'm running on now.

But i do agree with you that 300-ish pounds is a lot to ask for from a regular bike tire, and further point out the reason why i am asking about any tires that work better. :)

The knobby tires are being worn off faster by the pavement, look for a smoother thread. As to the wear on the front compared to the back tire, most of the weight is on the rear tire, hence more wear. I can't fully explain the why's, but my son is in the tire business, he told me to not buy knobby tires unless I wanted to replace them more often. Best I can explain is that the knobby part have no support and on some tires it is also a made with a softer rubber for gripping purposes.

Spare_Parts

I plan on switching to Maxxis Hookworm 26x2.5. They are city tires made to take a beating on shitty streets. A lot of the hardcore e bike guys run them because they are so durable.

Samuelric, I'm not sure if you understood the post.

1. I posted this using a guest account because I couldn't remember my login info.

2. I clicked the link you imbeded in the words "mud tires", and it sent me to a CAR/TRUCK tire site, I need BICYCLE tires because of the previously mentioned fast wear down rate.

3. After looking at that site, were you perhaps sugesting that I get Dirt Bike tires? Will they fit a normal 26" mountain bike rim? I honestly never tried.

Pic of current rear tire becoming bald, I checked it yesterday and it was OK with some tread on it, but now I have to run to the store and get a new tire because of no tread & showing the under layers of rubber.
What I've done is buy a road tire designed for mountain bikes. Don't remember the site I purchased from, but it has Kevlar reinforcement to prevent wear.
Skype_Picture (9).jpeg
Skype_Picture (22).jpeg
IMG_0557.JPG

Lloyde

What I've done is buy a road tire designed for mountain bikes. Don't remember the site I purchased from, but it has Kevlar reinforcement to prevent wear.
If you ever do remember the site, please attach a link so that more of us can find them.

For now I just swapped out my Mountain Bike tire for a Cruiser Bike tire, because it was the fattest tire the store had.

Your weak spot are the whitewall tires, carbon black is added to the rubber to make it wear longer.

But I like that taillight, do you remember where you got it?

FurryOnTheInside

I like fat tyres too, but I don't think it makes any difference to the wear rate really.
I don't think it makes much difference to speed either, except in extreme cases.
I do think that slick tyres are the only choice for road riding, and that the ideal pressure will give around the 10-15% drop. If you have more than a 15% drop at the top end of the recommended pressure range then you need a bigger tyre or one that is made to take higher pressure.. But preferably a bigger tyre because to make a tyre suitable for higher pressures would require a reinforced casing, and that will make it both less supple and as heavy as the bigger tyre.

I weigh more than the OP, both in my own body weight and the combined rider+bike+cargo weight. I run 622-32 (1.25") tyres at 90psi front and 100psi rear when heavily loaded. This is too harsh when riding without the cargo though so I can lower it to 75f/85r for the correct tyre drop.
If this bike had 26x2.2" tyres (at the proper pressure that gives up to 15% tyre drop) it would be just as fast, and the tyres would last just as long. It would be a lot more comfortable though!

IMHO it's running way too low pressure (having excessive tyre drop and the resulting squirm) and skidding (using a coaster brake?) that ruins tyres.

Last edited: