TLE43 upgrades/power adders.

Sweet, let me know. I am cautious with messing with the carb because it makes the motor EPA approved, but then again putting a different exhaust can make your motor run lean if you haven't put a bigger jet in your carb.. Let me know what your results are!

I'm cautious about messing with carb as well. The auto carb that it came with is soo sensitive to the the slightest change in the properties of the gas and the mix ratio. It balks to some degree every time I refuel for some miles . After it re-adjusts itself it's back to awesome performance. If I have to constantly tweak the adjustable carb that would be a pain. But the new carb looks to be bigger than the stock carb;)

Still waiting for the Boost Bootle kit to arrive.:( I got zero feedback from my post concerning that. But I did learn a few things while researching the concept. The most important thing seems to be that the volume of the boost bottle and hose has to be a perfect ratio to the displacement of the engine. I've come up with a plan to perfectly match the displacement of the motor to the volume of the boost bottle and hose.

Last edited:
Sweet, let me know. I am cautious with messing with the carb because it makes the motor EPA approved, but then again putting a different exhaust can make your motor run lean if you haven't put a bigger jet in your carb.. Let me know what your results are!

Jahmez20, I'm back!

Originally, I expected the engine to be MUCH louder, but it wasn't(The ADA-1 pipe also has a 1.375" X 4.25" muffler). Except for the "tinny" sound reminiscent of V8 headers, it was actually quieter, and the engine vibrated less at idle. Low end might've suffered a little, midrange gained a little, but the top end was AWESOME! I originally thought my Mits engine had a self-limiting governor...but it doesn't. Before I installed the goped pipe, there was no high-end. The engine would sputter and fall flat on its face, maybe at 5500rpm(no tach), ALL the time. What I thought was a governor was actually excessive exhaust back pressure. With this ADA pipe, there is no sputtering or power loss. Also, the rpm climbed steadily and could've gone easily past its redline. Even with a stiff headwind, the Mits engine pushed the bike almost effortlessly.

I did not touch the carb, and the engine seemed to have lost some low-end power when it sat for an hour. I had driven 5 miles to town, to the bike shop, Checkers auto parts and the grocery store. After a minute or so, it was fine. Throttle response is fine, and I'll check for spark plug color later.

All in all, the ADA-1 pipe is a great option. I still need to fab a permanent support bracket, and kerf's 1-2 Staton drive modifications would be perfect for the Mits.

For more low and midrange, the ADA-2 would work better.

5-7

Last edited by a moderator:
Very Very NICE! I found the pipe online, did you do anything else to the motor besides the pipe? New plug at the same time? I took my spark arrestor out, and the Mits doesn't stumble at all, but with a headwind and a hill she BOGS. Other than that it flies mounted on my 20" Aluminum BMX.

I did not make any changes, other than the pipe. The same spark plug is in there, which I'll read later when the engine's cool.

I'm gonna install a larger spindle for more top end, but mainly to keep from redlining the engine. I'm using 87 octane and might try premium gas, but no more modifications after that. I realize I'll lose low end, but I need more speed without redlining the engine, to ride safely with traffic.

I'm so happy with the pipe. That's all my Mits engine needed.

5-7

Okayyy, I checked my Autolite 2974 plug. It's a perfect tan.

FWIW, today was 88 degrees, sunny, partly cloudy with blue skies, 6 mph wind. Right now, it's 6pm, 76 degrees, still light enough for a 10-mile ride.

Last edited by a moderator:
5-7... I'm running premium with AMSOIL Saber 100:1, the oil makes LOTS of difference in throttle response and top end. E3 plug (from Schucks), also makes a difference, have you tried these? BTW, are you running friction drive like me?

okay Jahmez, I'll try your stuff.

Originally, I used the friction drive and 1.125" spindle with 1.6hp Subaru engine on my 20" Dahon bike. It was a good learning curve until I stepped up to a Mits 2.2hp engine with Staton chain gear drive. Now I have the Mits engine with Staton friction drive on a fenderless girlie 26" Raleigh cruiser. With Rockshox and suspension seatpost.

With the high-end engine problem solved, it's an excellent combination.

5-7

Carb and BB: first report

Right on, let me know how the carb works out. I'd like to see what kind of performance it adds.

I got the new carb, aluminum intake manifold and Boost Bottle hooked up. I have the idle dial in.

So far I am very impressed. It right way seems to start with more gusto than with the auto carb. But better than that, also:D with tougher compression. Suddenly it feels like I'm pulling on a chain saw instead of a big weedwacker motor.

Michael

Last edited:
Well, I installed the 1.5" roller on my Mits engined cruiser. As expected, I lost a ton of low end, which I compensated for by pedalling more. I also gained a LOT of top end. Now the engine doesn't scream at 30 mph, and I had not redlined the engine since. In fact, the bike was fast enough to keep up in traffic. I have not had the courage to push for top speed yet, but it's way past 30mph and closer to 40 mph. If I took a running start, I reached the tops of my medium-size hills with power to spare.

And I weighed 200 lbs.

I also had a problem with a fast idle speed with the Mits engine. When I removed a few tiewraps securing the throttle cable to the bike's frame, the fast idle disappeared.

Well, I installed the 1.5" roller on my Mits engined cruiser. As expected, I lost a ton of low end, which I compensated for by pedalling more. I also gained a LOT of top end. Now the engine doesn't scream at 30 mph, and I had not redlined the engine since. In fact, the bike was fast enough to keep up in traffic. I have not had the courage to push for top speed yet, but it's way past 30mph and closer to 40 mph. If I took a running start, I reached the tops of my medium-size hills with power to spare.

And I weighed 200 lbs.

I also had a problem with a fast idle speed with the Mits engine. When I removed a few tiewraps securing the throttle cable to the bike's frame, the fast idle disappeared.

It great having giddyup to spare.;)
I ended up doing the same thing; going with the big rollers. It ran much smoother. I always pedal pretty hard on take off so the low end loss was not really noticable.

Eco, it seems that the 1.375" roller MIGHT be a better match for me and my kind of driving. Since I haven't been able to redline the engine with the big roller, it might be able to stand a bit more revs without compromising my top speed. I have that roller on hand, so I'll give it a try and let you all know the results.

Back