To grease or not to grease

Cooking old coasters

Hi Quenton, I agree, as a kid in San Diego county I never cooked a coaster, and when I moved to the Desert (Calexico) there were no hills and it was too cotton-picking hot to pedal fast enuf to melt out the grease (tho it must have been fairly licquid in that heat).

BUT I might have weighed 125 and low speed, and now we are looking at the rough side of 275, and 30-40 mph, and able to sustain that all day long (within reason).

WE do have better greases available now, but I think that we putting a greater load on the brakes.

BTW that grease makes a dandy mess as it pukes out of the dust cover on that coaster!

I have gone thru many coasters, and I think, that if the shell is the same diameter inside, that a full set of "guts" would interchange into the shell.

The WD40 would ADD to the problem by licquifying the grease, and lowering the melt temperature.

Time will tell?

Mike

So far so good on my test run. I still have a mild groan or vibe that is synchronous with the belt. I've carefully lined up the rear wheel. Just neglect for 8 years. Some other small annoyances to tend to. The neighbors come out to gawk. I'll dress better next time.

Back