Sprockets To grease Rear Hub, do I need to remove motor sprocket ?

Eleusis

Local time
1:02 PM
I am new to the Skyhook World......

I just got this. I have a Schwinn Cruiser Frame with a YuanDong #457 Motor which must be the 48cc. the Rear Hub Bearings are loose.

I can make a Sprocket Center Tool if I really need to, but before I take it apart, and leave parts sitting all over the Shop. I would like to know if there is some way I can Grease the Wheel Bearings with the Sprocket still on to save time ?

Years ago, I drilled a Grease Hole in the Cruiser Hub and used a Chainsaw Bar Sprocket Grease Gun Needle and just pumped that Baby Full of Grease

trying to figure out which is easiest because dont have all Tools here and Wintertime is coming on

TIA

Last edited:
Most of the time (assuming you have a coaster break) the dust cover is trimmed or just left off to keep it from binding on the sprocket. If this is the case with your wheel you will be able to grease it with the sprocket attached.

I understand that silly, that is why I am asking,,,,,,,,,

ok so what I did was disassemble and the Motor Sprocket wont give access to the Bearing.......... so what I am going to do is, make a adapter to use a Grease Gun and Pump from the inside. I will take pictures as I do this.........

I wish I would have known before I took it apart, so I dont have parts everywhere and No Ride now !

it would have been the best idea to make the hole in the sprocket just a tiny bit larger so the Wheel Bearing could be serviced.

on my first Cruiser I drilled a grease hole in the Hub that sifit one of those Pointed Grease nozzles, but dont have that capability here.....

You will need to identify what kind of rear hub you have. Is it a coasterbrake?

If it is, they're through hardened steel in the shell and will not drill through at all.

Also, pumping a hub full of grease is a poor way to lube wheel bearings, 90 percent of the grease volume is just wasting space and not lubing anything. Do you know if the hub has sealed bearings if it isn't a coasterbrake? There again pumping it full of grease is a wasted effort if it has sealed, precision, cartridge bearings.

Are we talking about a cassette with 6 or more sprockets on it? If it is once the axle is out you can use your little finger to massage grease into the bearing a little at a time. I did that instead of buying a cassette removal tool. The cassette I had was a no brand one on a cheap bike and I was clueless as to the right tool to buy.

Back