To make a company or not to make a company

Hey there people of the internet I have a question to ask. I am ready to build a motorized bike but my problem is that I have to earn some money so I can build one. Due to the fact I have no support from parents (i'm 16). I thought it would be great if I make a business out of it and just built and sell bikes so I can earn myself enough money to build my own for myself. As I estimated I would be asking for 995 dollars per bike because I am going to sell it with a 4 stroke engine, a boost bottle, and wheels dedicated for motorized bikes. What I can also offer is to build a bike upon your preference and request and give you an estimation of how much it would cost to build and how much time it would take to build.

but then there would be a lot of returns so I don't really know about a warranty maybe lower the price 900 or something

20kmh is only 12mph lol I'm overweight and could pedal faster than that
I would be disappointed to spend 350$ on a MB that should only go 12mph

My go too number is 25mph, if I have a upgraded motor with NGK plug, Accel HP spark plug wire, "minor porting":), I would put it about 30ish.... Easy numbers to hit.... Usually:)
No point telling customers it can do 30mph and when it does not thay aren't happy I just say 20 so when it does more which it will the customer can't complain

but then there would be a lot of returns so I don't really know about a warranty maybe lower the price 900 or something
No warranty unless you can take it back to the shop you got it if thay bring it back to you and you get stuck with it then it's money out of your pocket

I've done it, it's not worth the headache. all my builds would be the same bike. don't remember what it was called but it was the cheapest suitable bike I could get from wal mart that had a decent wheelset and passable brakes. if the wheels are good the bike should be good. the bike ran $180 and the motor kit at the time ran like $100, so I would sell them for $600 and include some basic servicing for the next 3 months. just adjusting cables to compensate for stretch or clutch wear, rejetting it once it was broken in, that kind of thing. anything else I would charge to fix.

if you do start a business, don't have a warranty, and do write up a contract to keep you from being liable for anything. if someone gets sideswiped on one, they're suing you. if someone hits a speed bump too hard and eats s**t, they're suing you. if someone decides to take it off road and gets skewered on a stump, next of kin is suing you. "it's not visible enough," or "the suspension is inadequate," or "you didn't tell him not to do 30 through a tight corner on dirt." any bulls**t you can think of, the customer is going to throw at you.

^^^^ litigation^^^^

without insurance, you cant sell to just anyone.

some idiot will manage to break anything you sell in less than a week. if you dont know them, even if you do know them... uh oh. sue sue sue (hi, is your name sue?)

profit margin is staggeringly low.

you have no background experience. customer says it doesnt start...what do you tell them?

can you tear the engines apart with your eyes closed? and more importantly, REASSEMBLE said engine afterwards?

get them to start up on the first kick/pull etc?

can you turn around after a hard day spinning spanners and tell them "that will be $400 for parts and labour" when the engines worth only $200? despite the fact you just spent 12 hours getting greasy and frustrated... 400/12= a pretty lousy rate, though not bad for a 16 yr old ;)

deal with an irate customer?

heres a good book to read...
(yes, he posted it to a forum board, as well as publishing it as a book... i just love his sense of humor, even his website is hilarious. a take it or leave it attitude with no damn frills!)

http://www.head-fi.org/t/701900/schiit-happened-the-story-of-the-worlds-most-improbable-start-up

these two guys had EXPERIENCE. they also had a partnership, something that REALLY helps.

it takes a lot of effort, a lot of heartbreak, and a lot of downright luck to start a successful business...

you need suppliers, the ability to buy in bulk, cheaply. capital. the ability to persuade and or pass the buck...

and of course, being what they are...you are RISKING ANOTHER PERSONS LIFE.

something to think about.

I've sold to some very VERY ignorant people.

I had a guy call me back asking what the carburetor is and why the bike won't start..... Long story short apparently you have to have gas to start? Like seriously??? I thought I was about to slap the guy through the phone because he was old enough to know to check for fuel.

Gotta be able to give a diagnosis over the phone and know what your talking about to be able to describe a entire engine with such accuracy you could build a blueprint of an improved engine IN YOUR HEAD!!! That's some skill if you can do it, I'm getting there slowly but surely

There is a lot more to running a business then you think. Ran my own business for years. I something like this you do not want to learn by building ones for others. MAKE SURE you have very good insurance as people are sue happy theses days and look for any reason to sue. You do not want to loose everything and if you are under 18 or living in your parents house they can go after them as well. A lot of liability selling these things so make sure you have insurance and I will build mine first and learn before building for others.

So what I'm planning to do if some one wants a bike is I will make them sign a contract stating that it is not my fault for anything they do and I might also include a basic instruction book for any basic question. Also I know that it is difficult to start a business but that is the only way I can earn money and make myself a bike. If anyone wants to donate sure why not but I don't think anyone wants to do that or are there schools or places were i can go for this.

So what I'm planning to do if some one wants a bike is I will make them sign a contract stating that it is not my fault for anything they do and I might also include a basic instruction book for any basic question. Also I know that it is difficult to start a business but that is the only way I can earn money and make myself a bike. If anyone wants to donate sure why not but I don't think anyone wants to do that or are there schools or places were i can go for this.

That is not good enough as you are responsible for the bike to be safe and put together properly and in good condition. If a person as a friend you help them on their lest say car. In reality they can sue you jut because you worked on it. No this is not right but is still fact. I had a motorcycle shop for many years and let me tell you many people are dishonest and will do all they can to take advance of you. But I had garage insurance if they did try to sue. No matter what sort of contact you have a person still can sue.

Have you ever build motorized bikes before??????? If not you sure do not want to learn by building someone else one.

One other thing unless you are 18 or older you are unable to legale sigh anything.

Back