Today's project: Copper tailpipe.

I saw pictures online of a tailpipe fabricated from electrical conduit, and I was going to do the same, even though conduit is ugly. But I ended up in the Plumbing department at Lowe's, and all that pretty copper inspired me. The bike is MUCH quieter now.

I learned the hard way that copper tubing doesn't bend easily. After breaking the first piece in two places, I googled to learn what annealing really is, and it saved the day.

q3tdFRt.jpg

3JW5mLA.jpg

My wife tells me the bike isn't really quieter. It just seems that way to me because of the exhaust being directed behind me.

That's a good question. I think it is affecting performance. Is that possible? I seem to be having more torque issues, but I can think of three possible causes, including the tailpipe.

Exhaust, especially on a 2 stroke, is pretty important. I do not mess with 2 strokes very much, but I would guess you have to much back pressure. Do some research and see about going with a straight pipe. It will be VERY loud though. Wish I could help more, just not as knowledgeable about 2 strokes.

Update: I removed the tailpipe, and still have torque issues. So I'll have to find out the source of the problem, and then see if the tailpipe is an issue.

I'll start a new thread about this, but in case anybody here has an answer, I'm losing a little compression through my decompression valve. I milled the fitting myself, and it's mostly tight, but loses just a little bit of pressure. I can see it.

I'm hoping I can apply some kind of sealer to resolve this. What kinds of sealers can handle cylinder heat heat/pressure?

If your compression is so high that you need a decompression valve then it is way too high. Junk the valve and add a head gasket. Too high compression will trash your top rod bearing.

Back