Today's ride.

Sidewinder Jerry

Wow you're really allowed a lot of places combustion power isn't. Though I've often thought of building a gas/electric hybrid. One day I hope to build a bike that uses the motor as a generator to recharge the battery when using gas and/or human and/or gravity power; while the motor isn't being used for foward propulsion.

Wrench

Wow you're really allowed a lot of places combustion power isn't. Though I've often thought of building a gas/electric hybrid. One day I hope to build a bike that uses the motor as a generator to recharge the battery when using gas and/or human and/or gravity power; while the motor isn't being used for foward propulsion.

OOPS, you opened a can of 🪱 worms in Bassets world. Basset hates Smokers

Get ready to be shown Bassets ☀️ solar panels

B Bassett

That's an idea but it won't be allowed on Class-1 biking infrastructure. I personally believe it's better to invest in a large wattage solar panel. When regen gets to 15% recapture then I will jump at putting a hub-motor in my trailer wheel used only for braking and getting a little of the charge back. But... this is only for people that are willing (or rather able) to pedal the bike. Most here are only interested in little underpowered electric motorcycles. Stay safe.

Frogslayer

Pedal the bike to regen power to help pedal the bike? Lol. I know what you're saying for braking and downhills but it still sounds funny when said outloud.

B Bassett

Regen doesn't use pedals it spins the motor in reverse I believe to generate power. That's why it helps to save brake pads. Stay safe.

Frogslayer

My wife had a 2010 Prius and now she has a 2019 Prius. The regen braking does indeed save on mechanical brakes and works very well. Prius cars actually have engine brakes as well believe it or not. Between the regen and the engine brakes my wife had a set of brakes go 100,000 miles on her 2010 no bull.

B Bassett

My wife had a 2010 Prius and now she has a 2019 Prius. The regen braking does indeed save on mechanical brakes and works very well. Prius cars actually have engine brakes as well believe it or not. Between the regen and the engine brakes my wife had a set of brakes go 100,000 miles on her 2010 no bull.
It's a totally different situation when you are trying to recapture energy on something that only weighs a couple of hundred pounds. Hub-motors just simply aren't efficient enough for recapture to bother with... yet. Other than that they don't interest me at all for how I ride. Stay safe.