Too much oil...

Hay if you like it it's your bike. I think I'll just stick with my 32:1. Might be a little dirtier, but my rings love it. It just feel, i mean seals so good.

The only issues I seen tyler have at the races was brake fatigue. His bike can easily blow most common builds on this forum away. Him going to the socal races almost as long as they've been running, and still being competitive, means he's doing something right.

That's a bold statement,I could never run nor would I at 100:1 that just scares me LOL.If your engine can spin 10k not a good idea,if you want your sh*t to last then again not a good idea.You say thats how you have run for years but how many miles did you put on and how many jugs did you replace?I run somewhere between 32:1 and 40:1 and that's pushing it to me,in Canada we buy gas by the liter and I buy 5 liters at a time witch is 1.3 U.S. gallons to witch I put 4 oz's of oil (Lucas) and get thousands of miles from a jug.Running long periods also requires more oil for it's cooling aid,do you ride for more than 20 minutes at a time?
First, you should check out OPTI 2 oil, it's not just any 2 stroke oil, it is made to run 2 stroke engines at 100 to 1. As far as miles goes, one engine has about 2500 miles on it, the other bike has about 500, my speedometer stopped working on the 2nd bike so I'm guessing at least 500 miles. However, the one with 2500 miles on it has no reed valve and the other bike does, but the only thing I've had to replace on the one with 2500 miles is the spark plug. Most of my rides are 20 to 40 miles. I gotta say that I was skeptical when I first heard about OPTI 2 oil but I had a brand new engine and I decided to give it a try. After 1500 miles and no trouble, I decided to use it in my 2nd bike so both engines have had nothing but OPTI 2 used in them from the start. I never use anything else.

https://opti2-4.com/index.php?dispatch=pages.view&page_id=9

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Opti-2-2-C...698104?hash=item46957cd9b8:g:IvoAAOSwVMFc3EIn

Last edited:
Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Opti 2 is great and everyone should run it but I'm skeptical of running 100:1, the chrome lining on these cylinders is typically fairly low quality and I cannot imagine that running that light of a mix would be good for longevity. I'm not saying that it couldn't work, it's just a ratio I've not heard used. Everyone that promotes opti 2 usually recommends 40:1 after break in.
If I had a spare build that I wasn't worried about I would give it a shot but my current engine already has enough problems with the chrome lining flaking off.

I'm riding it now fine. I don't normally fill it directly but when I do I fill about half, pour oil, fill the rest. I also shake bike left and right to mix.

Thanks everyone for the help!
That's asking to have a stratified layer of heavier premix on the bottom of your bikes fuel tank.

* You should always premix in a proper gasoline container. *

I've tried the same partial filling, then add oil and fill to top, and unless you shake it for a good 10 minutes it's not going to be well mixed. You need a bit of air at the top of the tank so you can slosh it around completely. If the bikes tank is close to being filled there's not enough air to help mix the fuel and oil.

Also having the tank that full and shaking it around will make the gas cap leak, which will put raw gas on your clothes and the bike

You gotta be shaking pretty damn violently to get the cap leak to actually splash on you. Everyone says that "mixing in the tank is bad!" but my bike hasn't ran a single drop of fuel mix that wasn't mixed in the tank over the last 35-40 hours of operation and it's almost never been an issue. The only time it was a problem was the ONE time I put the oil in before adding the fuel on an empty tank. My fuel lines and carb bowl ended up getting filled with straight 2 stroke oil and required a real quick flush. Despite the oil being a heavier weight than the gasoline, the formulas are designed to be very miscible with gasoline (mixes easily) and it would take some honest effort to have actual stratified layers. Especially once you consider how much these bikes vibrate and the amount of agitation that happens to the fuel while riding.

I have a really, really hard time believing that you could make it more than 1 or 2 blocks down the road without the fuel getting mixed on its own, let alone if you take the time to shake the bike for a while.

First, you should check out OPTI 2 oil, it's not just any 2 stroke oil, it is made to run 2 stroke engines at 100 to 1. As far as miles goes, one engine has about 2500 miles on it, the other bike has about 500, my speedometer stopped working on the 2nd bike so I'm guessing at least 500 miles. However, the one with 2500 miles on it has no reed valve and the other bike does, but the only thing I've had to replace on the one with 2500 miles is the spark plug. Most of my rides are 20 to 40 miles. I gotta say that I was skeptical when I first heard about OPTI 2 oil but I had a brand new engine and I decided to give it a try. After 1500 miles and no trouble, I decided to use it in my 2nd bike so both engines have had nothing but OPTI 2 used in them from the start. I never use anything else.

https://opti2-4.com/index.php?dispatch=pages.view&page_id=9

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Opti-2-2-C...698104?hash=item46957cd9b8:g:IvoAAOSwVMFc3EIn
Trust that I know about opti 2 and how many seized and f***ed up jugs I've seen from guy's running it at 40-50:1,you have to realize that all these things have some hype and some bs to them so you buy it thinking it's the best,they claim to have the highest ISO rating and meet all manufacture requirements when in reality they are middle of the road because some oils meet the same ISO rating and have JASO rating as well as further higher graded ratings.My current cylinder has over 10k miles on it and gets rode everyday for a couple hours one way and I cruise at 45-50 not hard to do the math,but I wouldn't trust any oil even at 50:1 for that type of use it sucks when you break down 100 miles from home lol.

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Trust that I know about opti 2 and how many seized and f***ed up jugs I've seen from guy's running it at 40-50:1,you have to realize that all these things have some hype and some bs to them so you buy it thinking it's the best,they claim to have the highest ISO rating and meet all manufacture requirements when in reality they are middle of the road because some oils meet the same ISO rating and have JASO rating as well as further higher graded ratings.My current cylinder has over 10k miles on it and gets rode everyday for a couple hours one way and I cruise at 45-50 not hard to do the math,but I wouldn't trust any oil even at 50:1 for that type of use it sucks when you break down 100 miles from home lol.
Fair enough, but just to be clear, I never said it was the best or even better than any other oil. In fact, I suspect that it is not as good as some other oils and that it will break down at lower temps than some other oils. However these little 2 stroke engines will never get hot enough to cause OPTI2 to fail and even if they could another part would fail long before the oil did. The good thing about OPTI2 is the lower oil build up in the pipe and less smoke as well as the cheapness of it, but I make no claims about OPTI2 being a better oil. I can only say that I have been using and will continue to use it until I think the oil was a cause of a failure. I mix in 40 cc of OPTI2 per gallon using a large syringe. I will let you know if something happens.

You gotta be shaking pretty damn violently to get the cap leak to actually splash on you. Everyone says that "mixing in the tank is bad!" but my bike hasn't ran a single drop of fuel mix that wasn't mixed in the tank over the last 35-40 hours of operation and it's almost never been an issue. The only time it was a problem was the ONE time I put the oil in before adding the fuel on an empty tank. My fuel lines and carb bowl ended up getting filled with straight 2 stroke oil and required a real quick flush. Despite the oil being a heavier weight than the gasoline, the formulas are designed to be very miscible with gasoline (mixes easily) and it would take some honest effort to have actual stratified layers. Especially once you consider how much these bikes vibrate and the amount of agitation that happens to the fuel while riding.

I have a really, really hard time believing that you could make it more than 1 or 2 blocks down the road without the fuel getting mixed on its own, let alone if you take the time to shake the bike for a while.

The only vehicles I ever onboard tank mixed were my old SAAB 2 stroke cars. And only because it was recommended in the owner's manual. SAAB installed a fuel tank with special built in pre-mixing baffles. You drive around till the low gas light illuminates in the gas gauge, and try to find a gas station real quick.

You put about 3/4's of a quart of air cooled 2 cycle premix oil into the tank at the station before the attendant can interrupt you..( It's an Oregon thing, no self serve fueling..) The low light on is usually when you are on your last gallon of gas in an 8 gallon fuel tank, so 28 oz of oil to 896 oz of fuel makes for 32:1, which is just a smidge rich of the 33:1 SAAB calls for.

Then take your fabulously smokey old car for a bit of back alley gymkhana driving, extra points for getting some air on potholed gravel alleyways and then arrive home with a perfectly mixed, near 8 gallons of fuel in your classic old SAAB stroker.

All my other premix bikes and other implements get a tank of gas mixed in a 2 gallon container, you know it's going to be perfect from start to finish.

YMMV, don't try this at home kids..

Back