Engine Trouble Too much power, clutch slips and burns

Local time
9:21 AM
So I finally got my bike put together and started making power. Vibrations are minimal, pulls like hell once the pipe comes on and if the weather is cold enough, I'm able to get up to 9000 rpm going almost 50 mph. I'm around 230lb and the bike is probably 50 lb on it's own.

Now, the elephant in the room. Any weather colder than 65 degrees has enough power to slip the clutch. I adjust it, run it during the day and it doesn't slip. At night when it's colder, suddenly I'm making more power and the clutch slips. Fred installed the semi organic pads but it's not helping. So every 5 miles or so, I need to adjust the clutch. Any clutch pads/mods able to increase bite??

I was having recurring clutch slippage problems as well. I replaced the pads, and things worked OK fur a short time, but soon it started slipping again.
The problem was a leaking crankcase seal, allowing oil to contaminate the clutch pads.
After replacing the right side seal, (really not that difficult), the problem went away.

I was having recurring clutch slippage problems as well. I replaced the pads, and things worked OK fur a short time, but soon it started slipping again.
The problem was a leaking crankcase seal, allowing oil to contaminate the clutch pads.
After replacing the right side seal, (really not that difficult), the problem went away.
The bottom end has no milage on it (about 10-15 miles, basically nothing) and cleaning things with brake cleaner didn't have an effect. There are also no traces of oil or grease that I could find. Hence the confusion. I know Zeda burns his clutches up on his motors because he's just shoving power down the bike's drivetrain. But I doubt I'm making his hp figures

Adjust the inner preload on the clutch shaft. They don't all come at the same settings and I have had bone stock triple40s slip perfectly adjusted clutches. These clutches can hold quite a bit of power without slipping if you increase the engagement pressure.

If you remove the clutch cable guide post on top of the case and rotate the engine while looking in the hole you will see a notch on the right side washer on the clutch shaft. Stick something like a screwdriver up against the notch and rotate the rear tire BACKWARDS to tighten the clutch preload spring. Do small changes at a time and test in between, since it also shortens the length of throw as well as the preload - too tight will not only make the lever hard to pull but also won't release the pressure plate enough when you pull the lever.

Adjust the inner preload on the clutch shaft. They don't all come at the same settings and I have had bone stock triple40s slip perfectly adjusted clutches. These clutches can hold quite a bit of power without slipping if you increase the engagement pressure.

If you remove the clutch cable guide post on top of the case and rotate the engine while looking in the hole you will see a notch on the right side washer on the clutch shaft. Stick something like a screwdriver up against the notch and rotate the rear tire BACKWARDS to tighten the clutch preload spring. Do small changes at a time and test in between, since it also shortens the length of throw as well as the preload - too tight will not only make the lever hard to pull but also won't release the pressure plate enough when you pull the lever.
I'll look for that. Thanks. I'll update the thread with results.

Back