Carby Too rich? or not rich enough?

what notch do you use on your carbs needle?

• The top one

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bottom one

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CPC

Local time
6:16 AM
Ok, so hears a question, how rich is too rich? My engine is running a 20:1 gas/fuel mixture the needle is @ the 2nd to the bottom notch. I leave a trail of smoke even at 20 Mph! Do I need to run this rich, even though these are scavenger engines and I run wide open 70% of the time? How rich do you run? FYI I am in a semi-desert so dust storms are often, and have an altitude of around 1472 meters (4829 feet), I also have about 150 miles on this engine.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 251
At that altitude, you probably want to raise the clip (lower the jet needle) and get a smaller main jet. I think someone here has mentioned that dellorto jets will fit, and you want to start out at a #65.

Here in NJ, at sea level, I run jets hogged out to .75 -.80mm so they don't lean out. You need to go the other way because of your thinner air.

Note: I did not vote in your poll because jetting is variable depending on conditions. What works for some my not necessarily work for others.

I want the CNS carb that spookytooth is selling for $35, its for a 66 cc not what were getting stock for a 48 cc.....have you tried that yet?

Some of the needles on the stock Chinese carb's have 5 clip positions
although the majority have 4

PS: Make sure your jet is screwed in firmly from inside the float bowl
as loose jets that unscrew themselves are fairly common

Last edited:
Back