Tool chest build

mark20

Welp, sold off a few engines and went to a few garage sales today.
Ended up buying a sweet 4in MADE in usa vice for 25$ (a little steep, but itll come in handy) ill need to make new alumium vice jaws for it (i dont have soft clamps for the big vice, so this one will come in handy)
And bought a tool cart for 10$ (lots of rust, and the top shelve wont seat correctly) planning on making a wood bench like on my craftsman bench. Debating whether or not to cut the back end off to make it a mechanics tool cart
Should be a fun project!

Attachments

mark20

Heres my progress so far:
Got the vice installed, painted the shelves to match the red on my craftsman box.
Vice works great with the aluminum soft jaws! Now i wont be scratching stuff.
Tommrrow ill go to the walmart and grab a power strip and some spray on truck bed liner (want to spray the bottom since ill be using it for engine storage, and scratching it up) might use it for the top as well, but we will see.
20200606_163956.jpg

Attachments

mark20

USA made vice for $25, SCORE!
Yup, i have to say the vice will come in handy with the aluminum clamps i made, but i love the 10$ box a little bit more ;)
The guy was a apprentice at a local muffler shop, box was used good but cleaned up nicely (im thinking it might be a older MAC tools box, as it has similar styling, or some other tool truck brand, they normally go close to 400$) but its sturdy and says made in usa, so that's a plus lol

bike4life

looks great!!!!!!!!!!!!! i would be a little scared of mounting a vice on stamped sheet metal... Would not want to hammer it and have it dent up the tool chest that is looking good....

mark20

looks great!!!!!!!!!!!!! i would be a little scared of mounting a vice on stamped sheet metal... Would not want to hammer it and have it dent up the tool chest that is looking good....
eh, i have a plate under there. im not going to be on it super hard, thats what my main vice is for lol. but i want a vice to hold stuff and keep it together. if it bend owell, paid 10$ for it anyway