Top end power/top speed not great

The easy way, is to remove spark plug & use a piece of 1mm solder bent to fit in plug hole till it touches the cylinder wall. Then rotate engine over to squish solder. Measure the thinnest part of solder & that is your squish clearance. The other way, is to remove cylinder head & tape a piece of solder in cylinder the entire width of cylinder. Then install head & torque to specs, 12ft/lbs, then rotate engine over a couple times, then remove cylinder head & measure thinnest part of solder. That's your squish clearance.
So how would i increase or decrese squish

So how would i increase or decrese squish
Theres numerous ways, but some are easier than others. To decrease squish you must use a thinner head gasket or base gasket. Or you can sand your cylinder head or cylinder to decrease the squish. They must be sanded on a thick piece of glass or granite to keep the gasket surfaces true. To increase squish you would use either a thicker head gasket or base gasket.

Theres numerous ways, but some are easier than others. To decrease squish you must use a thinner head gasket or base gasket. Or you can sand your cylinder head or cylinder to decrease the squish. They must be sanded on a thick piece of glass or granite to keep the gasket surfaces true. To increase squish you would use either a thicker head gasket or base gasket.
Thanks for the help. Also, whats the benefit of a good squish band? Will i have better top speed or power?

Your going to gain power, plus if squish is set optimal it helps to keep the heat out of the top of the piston. Basically aids in more efficient cooling & combustion processes.

Thanks for the help. Also, whats the benefit of a good squish band? Will i have better top speed or power?
Higher chamber velocity, better burn, more efficiency, which all equates to more power. More power made with the same amount of fuel, means you use less of the throttle to pull the same load. Also runs cooler.

Back