Engine Trouble Tops out at low speed,

bailsafe

Local time
12:44 AM
Hello! I just finished my first build. It's up and running as of today, but the engine seems to really bog down when I'm above 50% throttle. For instance, I topped out at 11mph going up a (not extreme) hill, and that's with pedaling, on a 66cc Chinese motor. On flat ground, I topped about 15mph.

The engine sounds a lot more powerful full throttle with the clutch disengaged. Would that have anything to do with it? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

BTW, I'm using an 18:1 fuel mix for break-in. Carb was halfway open.

with the clutch in does it take longer than normal to get back to idle after cracking the throttle open?
(this is assuming you have experience with 2 strokes and know what "normal" is)

with the clutch in does it take longer than normal to get back to idle after cracking the throttle open?
(this is assuming you have experience with 2 strokes and know what "normal" is)

Doesn't take longer than normal, it idles pretty quickly after disengaging the clutch.

Last edited:
if you blip the throttle and then it doesn't go right back to a normal throttle (it stays high idle for awhile) then you have an air leak. where?
1) intake tract
2) crank seals
3) head/cylinder junction

that makes it run too lean which is why it loses power when you make it even leaner by opening the throttle all the way while riding

could be as simple as choke left on

don't get in a hurry to fix it until much more general reading is done here about how these work & common problems that are seen with new builds

Back