Torn between Tanaka 32 or R/S 35 GEBE kit. Decided!!

O

OldPete

I will phone my order in Wendsday or the day after and need some input...please.

I need clean n' quiet because several questionable bike paths will be used during the off hours. Like at dusk or before sunrise.
Plus on the road down here I will be mixing with the lycra set everytime I'm on PCH or even near it.

The new Tanaka 32 is lighter and can pull a 14 tooth drive wheel vs the R/S 35 pulling the 13. GEBE said it is 2dBA quieter than the R/S 35 when both are at 27~28mph. The only disadvantage of the stroker would be the cost of good oil @ about $1.00 per gallon and the pain of mixing.

I did find this and will use it on either engine. The Tanaka should go 90 miles before refill, plus mixing would be easyer and the R/S 35 about 100. It can be fitted tight to a power unit if no Expansion chamber is used.
It holds 1.5L and the engine feeds off of it before feeding from the stock tank.

1633_auxtank_2.jpg

In the future I may pull one of these for touring/shopping use, so torque will be needed.

1633_YAK_2005_500_1.jpg

Some may say get the 40cc stroker but I really don't need over 34mph and I want to get close to 200mpg.

So..There you have it. 2 stroke vs 4 stroke within this context.

I don't believe there's enough difference to worry about total bike weight or quality of engine. However, I lean to the 4 stroke side.

Although the decibles's may be similar, the 2 strokes can be quite annoying after awhile (not to me cause I likw that sound).

And sadly, at my advanced years and barely this side of non compos mentis, I prefer the convenience of fuel straight outta the pump.

Regards,
Jerry

jerryt,
I talked to Julia today and set my alarm for 5:30am PST because she is going to have Dennis call early. They are the husband and wife owners of GEBE @ bikeengines.com. They had never seen that aux fuel tank, it was nice to give them a heads up.
She likes the strokers but the 4 stroke will pull a trailer much better according to her, particularly from low road speeds. I'll post what Dennis has to say in my am.

I know a thing or two about strokers, I raced Mercury powered outboard boats in the late '50~early '60s, road dirt bikes for years, had a Suzuki X-6 Scramble and pitted for a 250cc Yamaha road race bike team.

I like the worksman frame and springer forks. The rear sheave from this kit I'm getting might work on your 11 gauge spokes but it would take a trick and a readjustment of some spokes. I'll be able to tell once I have the beast in hand.. :)

I hope your bike has the front brake hub because a coaster brake would be scary.

In my mind, the only real advantage of the stroker is a little top speed in quiet/stock trim, a little lighter in weight and sets lower to the wheel. If I were willing to ride loud, fast 'n thirsty, the stroker would win hands down in a modified state.
The early strong clutch engagement of the R/S 35 according to GEBE won the day for me. I did talk to Dennis this am and he is having great fun with his business with very little warranty work of any kind. Nice guy. :)
I will be buying the Volocity rear wheel from him with this order. It is laced 4 cross with 105 gauge spokes(12 gauge jerryt) and he stated that an easy drill mod will permit the sheave to fit these fat spokes. The wheel is $90 + shipping but comes with the sheave pre-installed when bought with the kit as well as the requiored $12 solid long axel.
jerryt, since you're in LB I will assist you in the sheave installation if you chose to go the GEBE route on your Worksman. I do have several of the tools needed for working on bikes. No coaster brake stuff but most of the other gear. I know a good place for relining small brake shoes too. :)

i wanna joke about your avatar, but i'm afraid it might really be you. it looks like
a post-office most-wanted poster...is that your best smile? :LOL:

glad you got things sorted, Ol' Pete, we eagerly await your first gallery 8)

I'm sure it's him, he wouldn't make fun of another human being's misfortunes.

augidog said:
i wanna joke about your avatar, but i'm afraid it might really be you. it looks like
a post-office most-wanted poster...is that your best smile? :LOL:

glad you got things sorted, Ol' Pete, we eagerly await your first gallery 8)

Joke all you want, that's Wally and when he gets used as an Avatar, well, that's when I get serious. Wally is from centeral Russia and has had a tough life. He was found at http://hddguru.com/ i stole him.

Gallery for sure. I have a cheap Canon and have never loaded pictars to the comp. I think the comp has a fan that needs lube because I had to reboot to get the squall to go away. So yeah, there will be pics to prove I'm not lieing. :D Like we need to play 'lets pretend'.

Back