Torque Converter

If we could just find a smaller setup like the snowmobiles it would make it a lot easier.
Doc

Still gonna have to figure out how to start it with a torque converter.

Yeah, seems to me that somewhere they make converters that are just that - converters. No clutch or centrifugal device.

Perhaps they were used on mowers or manufacturing apparatus. Can't remember. But, they had just the front portion and the rear portion that worked off a spring setup to adjust gear / torque ratios depending on RPM.

I do suppose one that had a spring-loaded clutch could be "locked" handily too. No ?

I once had a bicycle motor that had a small tork converter and also a clutch. It was called a MX-5 made in Korea.

I once had a bicycle motor that had a small tork converter and also a clutch

I guess the issue here is that keeping the manual clutch functional will alleviate the necessity of converting to a "pull" type starter. One would still be able to "peddle start" the rig.

A torque converter that has no clutch or to "tack weld" on one that does have a clutch....

We are looking for real world applications !!!!!

Help us out guys.... get out those welders and machine tools !!!!

Enjoy,
~DC~

I guess we could just do like the antique bikes and use the idler pully to stretch the belt untill it engages enough to start the engine and then your off! :eek:
(Sounds sooo Simple)
Doc

yup, you could simulate a "suicide shift" for the tensioner/clutch lever...too cool 8)

I wonder what the least expesive torque converters run. Looks like it's worth a shot.
Doc

I will give the torq converter a try.
Since it will let me get high speed and at the same time have lots of torque when needed for speeds, I think it is a good idea, however they are expensive.

I will use the torque converter on another bike I plan on building.

Does anyone know where to get 10g (3mm aprox) spokes? , the largest I have seen available are 12g.

12g is perfect for the 70cc, which is 3.5HP, but for a bigger engine the 10g spokes might be needed.

I will use the torque converter on a 4 stroke engine with a 3/4" shaft, there is a chinese engine at harbor freight that will be on special for $130 (june 1) 6.5HP that I think will be great for that since it is cheap and has a lot of power.

That engine runs at 3600 RPM (governor), so it will need a very large rear sproket about 56 tooth and will give you 50 MPH flat, and on worst hills probably 17 MPH due to the torque converter reductions.

Does anyone know a source for a very large bicycle sprockets?
One possibility is to use a jackshaft, but I rather keep things simple if possible.

Does anyone know where to get a heavy duty engine mount for a 4 stroke engine?, like the ones that appear on the 4 stroke kits for the 50cc engines.

Back