Torque - Exhaust - Ballpark Figure Please.

I use Allen head screws on my motor and have no problems at all, I don't even have a torque wrench I just know when to stop.

When I was breaking my motor in I think I had to re tighten them 3 or 4 times as the threads on the jug and screw tend to streach a little.

This motor has over 2000 Kilometers (1242.742 miles) on it and still doing fine.

View attachment 157339

You will probably notice I also used Ultra Copper maximum heat Gasket maker on all the top and bottom of each gasket and that has also lasted 2000 KM with no leak
you also have silicon holding the muffler up. you have no idea how strong that stuff really is, almost stronger than the actual screw you use in the exhaust. Yes screw, there are technically no bolts at all on our motors. All to small. I have no qualm against you doing it screws. Just saying 100 years of motorcycle research, shows a stud is best right there. all the expansion and contractions tends to destroy those little screws. It's why most motorcycles put a stud there, that and so you don't strip the soft case threads changing exhaust and tinkering. Again, have no problem with you doing what you want to your bikes, but I'll stick to the fastener industry standards. they spend billions of dollars and many decades figuring it all out, so I don't need too.

oh an hey I use that stuff and some graphite silicon for head gaskets too, works amazingly well, and almost never leaks unless you don't torque enough.

Muffler clamp and blue loctite on the exhaust bolts and NEVER a problem in over 4000+ miles..... Just saying.
https://prnt.sc/1qub4w4
the locktite does nothing right there. literally, nothing. it burns away. maybe the ash helps keep it locked. but if you look at its temp rating and then realize you subject it to 100's of degrees on the reg, then realize most locktite tht is to hold hard, heat releases it, just like with the blue.... lol. just saying, go for it, but it's not actually doing anything, you just know how to torque a screw proper, and tht is something you should be proud of. Even most mechanics can't do that. lol

another reason I use a stud and the actual first reason I switched, I could never get the inside allen screw. tube was always in the way, no matter how I moved 'em. just easier to use a wrench and a nut to get tht tight spot.

oh an with all these people using hardware wrong, it keeps the industry I work in booming. So I guess I should be encouraging people to strip threads, then they have to buy more!!! keeps me with a pay check. lol

I was pointing to the muffler clamp. NOT where I put the blue loctite.
I built over 6 bike so far and NEVER had a bolt or screw or nut vibrate loose on me yet.

Yes, for many reasons studs are better than screws (bolts) on the exhaust.

Yes, using Loctite on the exhaust threads has no advantage as it burns off.

I was pointing to the muffler clamp. NOT where I put the blue loctite.
I built over 6 bike so far and NEVER had a bolt or screw or nut vibrate loose on me yet.
oh I though you were saying to put locktite on the clamp, lol, my bad. An Like I said, you can do something most mechanics can't do, torque properly. The guys I work with are called " professionals", most of them can't read a torque wrench, even the needle deflectiosn type tht points right to the ft/lbs!!!! It's probably one reason they pay me so much, I set up, run ( I actually make bolts and threaded rod, with machines.) and maintain everything there but the network system. . lol. I've only ever had 'em come lose when I forgot to torque. You learn real quick what ya forgot to do when the carb falls off. lol, never had the exhaust go though, just bad gaskets. If you need goop in the exhaust, silicon works best, special the metal impregnated stuff.

Lock washers also loose their spring strength when their used in high heat areas, such as the exhaust

Lock washers also loose their spring strength when their used in high heat areas, such as the exhaust
And might quick too, usually after one heat cycle the metal has transformed. metal when subject to heat is actually morphing and changing depending on the temp and how long it's been at that temp. Metal is is one of my things, went to school for machining, you learn a lot about different metals. Did you know titanium is highly flammable, and will ignite if you try to machine it with out a liquid bath.

Back