TourSleazy: 2.5HP Honda powered Tour Easy clone

Hi all,

I introduced myself over here, thought I'd take a bit of time and introduce you to my more-or-less continuous R&D powered bike project. This nuttiness has been going since about 2002.

TourSleazy (TS) is so named because it is inspired by the TourEasy LWB layout but built mainly out of junk. It started life with solid suspension front and rear,
early_ts.jpg

but when my knees complained, TS sprouted a Honda G100, 97cc sidevalve engine. Riding the bike in its early human powered configuration dictated that rear suspension was necessary to cope with marginal roads at high speeds (for a bicycle, that is). I cut up a junked MTB with a cantilever rear suspension and grafted that into TS's frame.
early_ts_rearsusp_eng.jpg

There's numerous ways to transmit drive to the rear wheel on a motorised bike, some better than others. Tyre friction drives are the least desirable because of tyre wear and drive wheel slippage when there is moisture or other contaminants on the tyre tread surface. Drive sprockets clamped to wheel spokes IMNSFHO are downright unsafe, though I'm quite aware that a number of kits use this method. Spoke breakage looks like too real a possibility for my tastes.

While it would be much more mechanically complex than other means, I concluded that the safest, most durable and efficient way to transmit drive to the rear wheel was via the existing chain and sprockets. This would also facilitate the use of the derailleur's wide range of ratios with engine drive. Pedal and engine drive would both go via the single drive chain.

Isolating the engine drive from the pedal drive (so pedals don't spin when the engine is driving the bike and the pedals don't unnecessarily spin the primary drive) and combining the drive forces turned into quite a bit of an engineering challenge for this non-engineer. I came up with a differential drive system which allows drive either from the engine, the pedals or both simultaneously, in any proportion. This is accomplished by way of a 5/8" shaft running in ball bearings which are fitted to the former BB shell in the rear suspension's cantilever.
ts_jackshaft_bits.jpg

On the engine drive side of the shaft is a BMX-type freewheel, fitted via a custom machined adapter (33mm fine thread to 5/8" keyed shaft). There's an 84T (bout 10" dia) sprocket for #35 chain bolted between the teeth of the sprocket on the engine drive side- a chain runs from the 'dinner plate' sprocket to the centrif clutch on the engine. The LH side freewheel does not have to be modified to run 'left handed' as the shaft adapter allows use of an ordinary freewheel.

On the other side of the shaft, there's two more freewheels mounted on another custom machined 33mm threaded->5/8" keyed shaft adapter. A 5-speed rear wheel cluster fitted to the outside end of the shaft isolates the shaft's rotation from the pedal drive. If the engine is not running, pedal drive spins the jackshaft but the freewheel on the 'dinner plate' prevents the engine's primary drive and clutch driven cup from being spun.

Another BMX freewheel with an 18T sprocket suiting derailleur chain, is used to transmit drive to the rear wheel. This one doesn't really need to be an operating freewheel, could be a sprocket simply fixed to the 33mm>5/8" shaft adapter. The freewheel action of the derailleur cluster in the rear wheel makes this drive freewheel redundant- it's just a convenient way to fit a sprocket to the 5/8" jackshaft.
ts_driveline_overhead.jpg

One of the biggest challenges in motorised bike construction is getting sufficient gear reduction in the engine driveline so the engine is running close to its torque peak when the bike is at ordinary bicycle road speeds (up to 50km/h). Small 2-cycle (ie weedwacker) and 4-cycle engines (ie GX31) operate at 7200rpm. Not only did I not want a tiny little engine on the bike screaming at high revs, I found that fitting sufficient gear reduction for an engine turning 7200rpm would take more than chains and sprockets, given the possibilities of readily available components and the size of existing sprocks on the centrif clutch and rear wheel. It would take a gear reduction box, heavy and expensive. So, I selected a slightly larger but slower spinning engine than most builders employ. I found a 2nd hand Honda G100, 4-stroke 97cc sidevalve motor which runs at 3600rpm and worked that into the design. Bonuses are that the Honda motor can sit for months unused yet start on the 1st or 2nd pull, every single time. The sidevalve (flathead) engine design favours high torque at relatively low RPM on the torque curve, meaning the engine works better running slower- and quieter.
ts_engine_primary_drive.jpg

All well and good- until out on the road, of course!
ts_rhs.jpg

In practise, TS is great to ride, until one is tempted to run it as fast as it can go. At ordinary bike speeds (40km/h and under), the drive system behaves very well.
ts_lhs.jpg

However, when pushed to 55-60km/h in 7th gear, the final drive chain is on the smallest sprocket on the rear derailleur. This means that the chain is being held in tension only by the derailleur tensioner and is really quite floppy.
ts_lhs_r34.jpg

This becomes a problem on rough roads, where the drive chain tends to jump off the driving sprocket on the jackshaft. I added a tensioner on the 'pull' side of the final drive chain, which aligns the chain before it gets to the driving sprocket. Works very well- but the plastic idler wheels on the tensioner get chewed up very quickly (about 200-300km per set of idler wheels).
ts_rhs_chaintensioner.jpg

TS is torn down at this moment, clamped up in the workstand, getting a new front frame section to suit a suspension/disc brake front end, shown here in mockup.

toursleazy_new_frt_end_03.jpg

The driveline problem is going to be sorted while it's there. To eliminate the slacky drive chain, I was thinking about fitting a 3 to 7 speed internally geared rear hub, but @Alaskavan brilliantly suggested the NuVinci CVT hub.

ts_lhs_stripped_workstand2.JPG

I'm investigating both options, as they would eliminate the need for a chain tensioner in the final drive. I can also fit a larger sprocket to whatever size sprock is supplied on either the NuVinci or traditional internally geared hub, to slow the bike down a bit and improve hillclimbing abilty. I just need to do some research on exactly how much torque these hubs can be expected to handle. Hard info to come by as the makers of these hubs are not usually interested in supplying information for non-standard applications of their products.

I also have a Comet 'Torq-A-Verter' TAV-30 belt-type torque converter sitting on the shelf, bought for another project, but it may have an application in TS's driveline. If I were to fit the TAV in TS's primary drive, replacing the centrif clutch but driving the existing 84T dinner-plate drive reduction sprocket on the jackshaft, it would add another 2:1 reduction multiplication (when the engine is running wide open- the TAV is 0.92:1, a bit of overdrive, at lower RPMs), increasing the primary driveline reduction to 14:1. 1st gear would then be about a 28:1 reduction with the engine on the 3600RPM governor, making for SERIOUSLY stump-pulling hillclimbing power, necessary for my new mountainous surrounds. I'd prefer to reserve the TAV for the other project, but we'll see where I wind up. :)

Thanks for suffering through the long post, but I'm catching you up on the last 6 years. :)

I'm happy to answer questions about TS but I'm happier yet to get good suggestions for improvements. :)

Last edited:
Not necesarilly. Higher speeds mean more friction, thus more heat. So, depending on the type of bearing/bushing, it could last much less than 3000 miles. And yes, some of them don't have bearings. I've seen them that were just a plastic cog bolted between the derailer cage.
So spend more than $8 on the derailur and you're set. $15 netted me a deore long cage derailur. Bearings everywhere, good strong springs on the B and A tension springs. :)

It all depends on the chain. As it does with the derailler. I've seen chains go 5-7k miles and derailers **** out after 2-3k.

The only question I have about chains is this. High end chains tend to be built with hollow pins and thinner links for light weight. So I'm thinking some of those higher end chains may be less durable. I dont have much experiance with these since they are a relatively new thing.
I think the best thing to try would be to go for one of the nickel plated Deore chains. Nickel plate to help you clean it, and deore because the mountian chains don't have the hollow pins, or using the joined plates like the really high end, light weight chains. The chain one step up from what I bought was $35 at my local bike shop.

I wish you could buy 410 chain in o-ring. Our chains are 4XX. The second digit usually tells you how wide the chain is in 1/8ths of an inch.

If you're willing to get out some plastic, and make a wooden buck. You could easily make a chaincase to go around your gears. Use a 7 speed cluster on a 9-10speed wheel, and that should give you room to tuck the............

There we go. Put up an oil guard around your final drive chain. And have the derailur dip into a pool of oil. Instant long chain life. Oil bathed chains essentially don't wear.

Just my humble opinion, but it might be more productive to ask Weez exactly what it is that fails with the use of the derailleur/chain tensioner (if you really need the details). I would tend to accept the opinions/observations of someone with direct experience. It seems to me that Papasan had similar issues of derailleurs getting eaten. He also gave up on the concept and is now building with NuVinci.

Well I have had experiance with derailers. But on the chain issue I would agree. Personally I've never had much problem with mine.

And Nerebo, an oil bath? Can you imagine the mess that would make?

I was, of course, refering to experience with a derailleur used as a chain guide/tensioner in a gas powered drive train.

I was, of course, refering to experience with a derailleur used as a chain guide/tensioner in a gas powered drive train.

Yeah, sorry for derailing the thread a bit. :)

I'm impressed with what you've done sofar! You've given me some great ideas.

I wouldn't be so sure of that. I've pedaled my bike in excess of 40mph. The chain stayed on just fine. (I won't claim it was level ground, but I was still pedaling, and applying force to the rear wheel) People have pedaled bikes to 80mph or more with proper fairings, on level ground. They use quite conventional chain and gearing to do so.

I was reading your description of chain tension, and it sounds like you were using a short cage derailur and it didn't have the tooth capacity for the range of gearing you were using.

I'm really glad your chain can stay on while pedalling at 40mph. Mine won't.

I've used several types of derailleur tensioner and all suffer the same problem.

I'm betting that the folks pedalling at 80mph are not on the same kind of road surfaces I am. I seriously doubt that Freddy Markham dodges any potholes on the road at Battle Mountain or on Ford Motor Company's test track... and I'm willing to put a fat wad of cash on that.

I really don't know what you're on about with "tooth capacity for the range of gearing you were using." The number of teeth on any sprocket in the system in this application won't have anything to do with how strongly the tensioner spring holds the final drive chain in tension.

Just my humble opinion, but it might be more productive to ask Weez exactly what it is that fails with the use of the derailleur/chain tensioner (if you really need the details). I would tend to accept the opinions/observations of someone with direct experience. It seems to me that Papasan had similar issues of derailleurs getting eaten. He also gave up on the concept and is now building with NuVinci.

Good idea. ;) I ran TS for a bit more than 1000km before I tore it down to implement some major redesigns. And I still need a NuVinci!

That's what a chain case is for. Honda does that sort of thing with their other market bikes. And it's common practice on scooters.

Yeah, OK, you make one up for me and we'll chat. :rolleyes:

The ACTUAL solution is no more difficult than using some sort of internally geared rear hub, be that a NuVinci or a more typical 3-7 spd internal gear hub. This will eliminate tensioners entirely as well as reduce the chain velocity. I just gotta find a NuVinci.

Force = mass * velocity.

wrongo, weez, ol' chap!

F=MV^2! It's the 'velocity squared' part that is causing a big chunk of the grief in TS's driveline.

Plastic gears last longer. [...]

My worry is the chain. The chain is the least durable item in the whole schebang.

Wrong and wrong. The plastic idlers are the very first thing to die. They may not need teeth, but they do need bearings- which they ain't got. Plain plastic on a steel shaft tolerates human power very well but not hours of running at the speeds TS can do.

Nero, have you ever built any powered bikes? TS is my 4th.

Wrong and wrong. The plastic idlers are the very first thing to die. They may not need teeth, but they do need bearings- which they ain't got. Plain plastic on a steel shaft tolerates human power very well but not hours of running at the speeds TS can do.

Nero, have you ever built any powered bikes? TS is my 4th.
Plastic gears last longer. I'm not saying they don't need bearings. The pullys on my deore derailur are very much plastic. Though they do have bearings in them. I don't see how that's "wrong and wrong." I won't even say plain plastic on a steel shaft tolerates human power well. I've runined my fair share of supercheap derailurs in my time.

I've built motorcycles. Machines with orders of magintude more power. However that is the path to a personal attack. ;-) We don't wanna go there.

If you're like to discuss the typical level of engineering seen on this forum, that's another can of worms that you really don't wanna open.

"I really don't know what you're on about with "tooth capacity for the range of gearing you were using." That's a very worrying statement from someone who proports to be an expert.

I took a close look at your setup. and you have two tensioners on your drive chain.

"Works very well- but the plastic idler wheels on the tensioner get chewed up very quickly (about 200-300km per set of idler wheels)."

This is where your problem is. You're trying to use tension to keep the chain on, instead of using a chain guide. You either need to put a cut up Front derailur to keep the chain guided properly, or put two of the guide rings that you find on downhill bikes. Bike chains are designed to be flexable, so just having tension isn't enough.

Last edited:
Nero, I'm kinda new at this. You obviously know a lot of things I do not. I've only built 4 powered bikes and about a dozen motorcycles in the last 20 years. Despite that, I have never purported to be an expert- and defy you to point out where I have claimed BSME qualifications or equivalent. I purported to be someone who can stick tubes together, sorta.

Please post photos of the derailleur system you have built which tolerates 70km/h all day everyday. I will copy it to the mm.

Failing that, my opinion will remain that you really don't know WTF you're talking about.

Back