Exhaust Toyota O/2 sensor gasket as exhaust gasket

Yes 2002. Dorman part no. 47021
Hi gary, as well as Wrench and Chainlube, or all three that can answer question i have in the text below.

Just got the O2 sensor gasket today at church from the Toyota General Manager from his dealership.

He did get me the right one, but not with that Dorman #...Toyota has changed their numbering system i guess, but one of his "old timers" in the parts dept. knew exactly what i wanted.

Here is the current, parts#/stock#, for that gasket...89466-20020-83.

Now my only question about that gasket is this,... On one side, there is a heavier/thicker amount of metal surrounding the gasket material than on the other side...I am wondering which side would go against the engine versus which side goes against the exhaust pipe itself ???

Thanx again and awaiting reply...lol...DAMIEN

Have you ever saw a red hot header?
Cant say that i have...any headers i ever saw were on some really nice cars, and ususually doing an r & r to replace gaskets when they started leaking...lol...They were the only folks that could afford our garages...but by and large, our clientel were normal folks with regular mom and pop types of cars, usually stock from the factory...lol...But as you would know, this would be caused either by running engine too lean or not having enough air flow for cooling purposes...DAMIEN

The heavier side goes to the pipe, lighter side to the block. Check the gasket to the pipe, just incase you have to resize it a smidge.

The heavier side goes to the pipe, lighter side to the block. Check the gasket to the pipe, just incase you have to resize it a smidge.
That is pretty much what i had decided on but was not sure, so thanks for the clarification in what is left of my feeble old brain...lol...so far, just holding up the gasket to the pipe and engine, it looks like an exact match, holes appear to line up perfectly...Im intending to install it by next weekend when i can find the time...Original factory gasket is "weeping" just a bit so i want to replace it and clean out the pipe, baffles etc. while ive got it off, with some degreaser...thanx again...DAMIEN

Hi gary, as well as Wrench and Chainlube, or all three that can answer question i have in the text below.

Just got the O2 sensor gasket today at church from the Toyota General Manager from his dealership.

He did get me the right one, but not with that Dorman #...Toyota has changed their numbering system i guess, but one of his "old timers" in the parts dept. knew exactly what i wanted.

Here is the current, parts#/stock#, for that gasket...89466-20020-83.

Now my only question about that gasket is this,... On one side, there is a heavier/thicker amount of metal surrounding the gasket material than on the other side...I am wondering which side would go against the engine versus which side goes against the exhaust pipe itself ???

Thanx again and awaiting reply...lol...DAMIEN
Truth is I don't think it's really going to make that much diff.. It may have for it's original app., but the contact it is going to have on your flange /head is minimal at best.

Back