Trailer for pulling mower

Josh_wilcoxx

Local time
3:05 AM
Hey guys, I'm thinking of starting a small business mowing lawns in the development up the road. I was thinking of making a trailer for my bike because it'd be easier to bring the bike up then a full vehicle. I wanna make one a little like the one in the screenshot. What do you suggest for material, and mounting it to the bike (I do have a welder and know how to weld, +various metalworking tools)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210605-133143_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210605-133143_Chrome.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 209
how bigs the mower? we talking like a push mower or a full-on rider?
budget?
size?

id make one out of either EMT conduit or galvanized pipe (although make sure you get the galvanized stuff off) as that is the cheapest stuff you can get easily (although tubing is the "proper" way of going about it)

id use BMX wheels for the trailer wheels, cheap, heavy-duty (if you get the good double-walled ones), and relativity affordable.

for the connection, you'd want to make a pivot similar to those found on bicycle trailers (ie, a stiff spring and a clamp is the most common)

how bigs the mower? we talking like a push mower or a full-on rider?
budget?
size?

id make one out of either EMT conduit or galvanized pipe (although make sure you get the galvanized stuff off) as that is the cheapest stuff you can get easily (although tubing is the "proper" way of going about it)

id use BMX wheels for the trailer wheels, cheap, heavy-duty (if you get the good double-walled ones), and relativity affordable.

for the connection, you'd want to make a pivot similar to those found on bicycle trailers (ie, a stiff spring and a clamp is the most common)
Yeah, just big enough for a push mower and a gas can. I did find this material on Amazon, I think it should do the job.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210605-132857_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20210605-132857_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 198
https://motoredbikes.com/threads/trailers.58611/page-2

id personally have a suspension system as well, similar to post #14 makes it a whole lot smoother and makes the risk of rolling the trailer on a pothole a lot less.

can be done pretty cheap if you get a couple of free full suspension bikes. (if your really fancy, you can add air shocks and make the ride BUTTER)

id also make the shock closer to the pivot than the wheel (unlike my trailers design) this will reduce capacity a bit (as it would be easier to overload the shock) HOWEVER, you only gonna be carrying at most like 100lbs, so this won't matter till your hitting closer to 3-400lbs.

it will however improve on the way the trailer handles and ride comfort (as this will in turn make the shocks travel rate of the rear wheel greater depending on how close to the pivot it is) while also making it "Softer" (ie, more torsional load applied to the shock via the leverage the trailer and the tire receives)

basically, its a better system (inho) for you.
here's my very rough drawing of what I'm trying to say, the green is the pivot point.
Untitled (1).jpg

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
It would be a lot easier to just buy the trailer.
You're going to spend at least that by time you get it built.
The main problem is that trailer would be too narrow to accommodate his lawnmower, most lawnmowers are at least 24in (plus side chute, which is another 5ish inches out) building is gonna be his best option unless he finds something local.

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
It would be a lot easier to just buy the trailer.
You're going to spend at least that by time you get it built.
Yeah, Mark has it right, most of the trailers I can find are either too small or wayyyyyyyyy too big for what I'm using it for, and I already have a bunch of parts laying around and I need a project.

Check Craigslist, I found an almost new bike trailer for $15. It was put together, they had pulled it around the block, and then decided it was too much work to haul the kids in it.

Check Craigslist, I found an almost new bike trailer for $15. It was put together, they had pulled it around the block, and then decided it was too much work to haul the kids in it.
I've looked, sadly all I can find is child carriers for $150+. Definitely keeping an eye out!

Back