CVT transmission ratio for Honda GX-35

Otto Neumann

Local time
6:42 AM
Hi,
I'm a new user,and I've started my plans for my first gasbike,with the additional personal challenge of running the entire project on a very low budget,and until now it's proceeding greatly,but I stepped into a problem
that I can't solve alone.

I'm using a GX-35 engine,and I can't find a proper transmittion mechanism to fit on it.
Recently I've spotted on ebay some 3:1 chain driven transmissions and some 5:1 gearboxes destined for minibikes,but I don't know which ratio I should choose.
Actually I've seen a bit of people around using the 5:1 gearbox with this little mechanic wonder,but it's still not enough to convince me;

Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks for your time
-Otto

How are you connecting the engine to the wheel friction, direct chain or shifter, the 2 stroke china motors have 4/1 at the engine clutch, a ten tooth on the output to about 40/50 teeth at the rear wheel.

I'm connecting the engine with a direct chain,I've seen those,but a 4 stroke it's more convenient for me,in therms of fuel consuption.

3:1 or 5:1, you still have to reduce the ratio after the transmission. You need a total of about 10:1 or 12:1

It is figured with teeth count like 10 front tooth divided into 40 tooth rear = 4:1. Belt is figured by size 2" into 6" = 3:1

It can also be done with jack shaft, with a series of belts or chains. That's about all the trans does, aside from the clutch bell or drum. It is a jack shaft in a case.

I do believe the one of them trans changes the rotation direction, double check...................Curt

Thanks
Originally I calculated that my optimal set of sprocket would be a 12T / 44T sprocket

Last edited:
Here it's mostly flat,plus I'm intended to use the engine for sustain speed and cruising,I don't mind to have a quick thing and pedal a bit more ^^

Omg 57 mph with a 12T / 44T at 2700 RPM with a 26 inch wheel?
Good,the gear ratio is at 3,67 : 1,it matches my calculations

I've seen quite a bit of bikes running with a Gx-35,but they used a bigger sprocket,a 47T one,I choose a slightly smaller sprocket for get a 20% of extra speed,as I will bring the bike to the optimal speed for after engage the engine,I really don't mind to accellerate by pedaling a bit.
Of I don't have enough torque I can still improve it by changing the driving sprocket:
Like,by using a 3:1 transmission with the stock 11T sprocket I can gain a 8% of torque,and if I change it with a 14T I can gain even a 16% of Torque

Back