Travel Tools and Supply/Repairs- Show us your Road Kit

WHat tools do you carry on your everyday rides?

• Tools! I don't need no stinkin TOOLS!

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • A Pocket knife and Duct Tape, Baby...

Votes: 21 13.5%
  • Universal Bike Tool

Votes: 32 20.6%
  • Flat Repair Kit

Votes: 32 20.6%
  • Pump or Tire inflator

Votes: 31 20.0%
  • Full Bicycle repair kit.

Votes: 86 55.5%

• Total voters
on top of the pocket knife and duct tape I normally have handy anyway, I also carry a chain breaker, about a yard of extra chain, a bag of master links, needle nose pliers, a pair of adjustable wrenches, and the 3 allen wrenches my bike uses. I also usually have a premix bottle handy, but the gas station I normally fill up at is right next to an auto zone so more often than not I'll just buy some there

I keep needle nose and pliers, standard and philips screwdrivers, 1 allen key, a set of wrenches, rachet and socket for spark plug, loc-tite and a spare spark plug inside a little zipper bag and keep it in the saddle bag on my bike.

My kit keeps growing over time. Don't forget a first aid kit!

2014-12-29 16.07.11.jpg
2014-12-29 16.09.02.jpg

and mine keeps shrinking. I'm down to a multitool, 3 allen keys, a couple of zip ties, a hand pump, and an extra tube.

and mine keeps shrinking. I'm down to a multitool, 3 allen keys, a couple of zip ties, a hand pump, and an extra tube.
If you use puncture-resistant tubes and a tire liner (like "Stop Flats 2"), there would be no need to carry the extra tube and hand pump, either. :geek:

What to carry depends on how far you go . I'd rather catch it during pre - flight than fix it on the side of the road .
My goal was to build a Gas Bike as reliable as a motorcycle . That meant tossing a lot of garbage chassis parts, and doing some deft metalwork. While pricey, the finished bike is a joy to ride, no rag joint to bite my wheel, no chinky dinky spot weld wheel to become undone, no death pop tensioning the chain to violate the spokes, no model airplane plastic throttle to wear out after 10 miles
Blue LocTite Gel was applied to all fasteners . All bolts checked aprox. every 20 miles, known troublesome ones checked every ride .
Huffy Cranbrook = Worksman wheels, Kevlar tires, thornproof tubes, Pirate Cycle 48 tooth sprocket and hub, cheapo caliper brakes Ft and rear. Shimano coaster brake on Worksman wheel for 3 brakes, Combo lever for calipers, Domino throttle, Chain Path Idler [ made from cut up death pop ] Crow Cycle adjustable centerstand Sunlite 3 spring saddle on set back post made from cut down 10 speed steel rat trap handlebars. Even the most scornful of real motorcycle riders admire the simple clean lines .

If you use puncture-resistant tubes and a tire liner (like "Stop Flats 2"), there would be no need to carry the extra tube and hand pump, either. :geek:

I do use a puncture resistant tube and liner, I just like to have that extra bit of insurance.

I carry a 8" Channellock WideAzz adjustable wrench (1 5/8)
https://www.channellock.com/8SWCB-Adjustable-Wrench.aspx
And a PicQuic SixPac screwdriver
http://www.picquic.com/index.html
I have a PicQuic Teeny Turner that I use around my house all the time, mostly for smaller electronics, tho.

But you and... well, everyone really... should check out the Knipex "pliers wrench". Opens to about the same size as your WideAzz wrench, but because it adds the pliers action and the parallel jaws, you can grip onto anything!!

My gf bought a used bike without air on the tires. I pump 'em up and we get ready to ride.. but then we noticed how bad her rear wheel was warped. It was pretty bad! Had the Knipex in my car... and was able to true her when in less than 5 min for sure.

You go from instant full grip to instantly loose enough to rotate, or ratchet. I can't recommend them enough. One of the greatest tools ever designed. Another interesting point about them is that they're the ONLY adjustable wrenches available to aircraft mechanics... since they don't strip nuts or bolts. They are so ridiculously awesome.

Those Knipex look interesting.
I wonder how they grip pipe?
I might just get a pair from Amazon.
Thanks.

Back