Travel Tools and Supply/Repairs- Show us your Road Kit

WHat tools do you carry on your everyday rides?

• Tools! I don't need no stinkin TOOLS!

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • A Pocket knife and Duct Tape, Baby...

Votes: 21 13.5%
  • Universal Bike Tool

Votes: 32 20.6%
  • Flat Repair Kit

Votes: 32 20.6%
  • Pump or Tire inflator

Votes: 31 20.0%
  • Full Bicycle repair kit.

Votes: 86 55.5%

• Total voters
i got it all.
innertube
flat and phillips screwdiver
allen wrenches
CDI
spark plug
10-15mm wrenches
one reg and one deep-well 10 mm ratchet
elec tape
wire
duct tape
zipties
knife
throttle cable
air pump
3 oz. oil
each (except CDI) have been used at some point en route
quite the load for my backpack, but now i pull it on a trailer.

EDIT: i have thorn-proof tubes as well, and mr. tuffies on the back. no rear flats in 6months since installing. used to get one per week or so.

Last edited:
I carry minimal tools- Bell Multi-tool and some tow rope!
All I'm carrying now is the Bell Multi-tool as well. Great for the $13 or $14 or whatever it was I paid for it. Greatest tool ever.

I've got spoke liners & tire liners that go on both sides of my tubes. My back tube is thorn-resistant, while my front tube is just a regular one... so I'll see how well the tire liners work. I've also got kevlar tires that can handle 110psi, but I've actually only got 'em around 50psi. No need for me to carry tubes or repair kits... for now.

I finally saw the NoMoreFlats "tube" at another WalMart nearby, and I just don't know what to say about that. I'd like to try it, but I feel like there'd be more rolling resistance.

Sparky,if you go with the NoMoreFlats you better make sure your rims are PERFECTLY aligned or you'll get a thump thump thump.
You'll never go flat,but ride is compromised.
I went back to the gel tube. Don't over-inflate them or they will explode.
In fact,I keep mine a bit under inflated and it's still solidly pumped up (5 psi below minimum pressure)
I keep an extra gel tube in my tool pouch and a hand pump.

I think I'll stick to my kevlar tires & regular inner tubes with tube liners on both sides.

I ran over a sheet load of glass multiple time today, but I'm still rollin'.

This reminded me of Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.

Motorcycle Stuff. A standard tool kit comes with the cycle and is stored under the seat. This is supplemented with the following:

A large, adjustable open-end wrench. A machinist's hammer. A cold chisel. A taper punch. A pair of tire irons. A tire-patching kit. A bicycle pump. A can of molybdenum disulfide spray for the chain. (This has tremendous penetrating ability into the inside of each roller where it really counts, and the lubricating superiority of molybdenum disulfide is well known. Once it has dried off, however, it ought to be supplemented with good old SAE-30 engine oil.) Impact driver. A point file. Feeler gauge. Test lamp.

Spare parts include:

Plugs. Throttle, clutch and brake cables. Points, fuses, headlight and taillight bulbs, chain-coupling link with keeper, cotter pins, baling wire. Spare chain (this is just an old one that was about shot when I replaced it, enough to get to a cycle shop if the present one goes).

And that's about it. No shoelaces

Included in his reading material: "The shop manual for this cycle... A general troubleshooting guide containing all the technical information I can never keep in my head. This is Chilton's Motorcycle Troubleshooting Guide written by Ocee Rich and sold by Sears, Roebuck."

He also lists his personal items and camping gear, but this is for a cross-country trip.

Silly noob (me)--Ya gotta have some tools!

I must apologize since I thought that the original post was a bit too much--BUT, after a few breakdowns, I've realized that these are engine kits that have the tendency to loosen up a bit...(silly noob that I am!).

Now I carry at least a screwdriver, a 10mm wrench, a 13mm wrench, and replacement nuts/bolts/whatever with me. Soon enough I'll learn more and get the kinks out, but for now I'm careful not to go too far...

Thanks to this forum, I'm learning...

as of today, i will be carrying an extra woodruff key. for the first time in my life, i actually got 'lucky' with a break-down.....right in front of Ace Hardware :)

Last edited:
This post is on topic. Please bear with me. Yesterday, I rode my Trek about 20 miles back into the Porcupine mining area. Rough gravel roads. On my way back, I had a blowout about 5 miles from the highway. I figured, "No problem. I'll just take my time, patch the tire, and cruise home." At least, that was my attitude until I found that the glue in my tire patch kit had dried up.
Something that should be checked now and then.
As for my little adventure, about 5 minutes later, a young lady who lives even more remotely than me drove up. The road out of her place is finally passable, so she was getting out and about and was very pleased to have some human company. She gave me a ride to my house to get another tube of glue, and back to the bike. I patched the tire and tube and rode home.
Anyway, check your glue before you get out on the road.

Back