Travel Tools and Supply/Repairs- Show us your Road Kit

WHat tools do you carry on your everyday rides?

• Tools! I don't need no stinkin TOOLS!

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • A Pocket knife and Duct Tape, Baby...

Votes: 21 13.5%
  • Universal Bike Tool

Votes: 32 20.6%
  • Flat Repair Kit

Votes: 32 20.6%
  • Pump or Tire inflator

Votes: 31 20.0%
  • Full Bicycle repair kit.

Votes: 86 55.5%

• Total voters
Here's the basic road kit. It's always on the bike and is very much a work in progress. This picture is pretty recent, but is already out of date! I recently added:

1. A flashlight.
2. Some nitrile gloves.
3. A really cool pair of pliers to replace the larger adjustable wrench.

For more info about item #1, see: http://www.kk.org/cooltools/archives/001637.php

If this whole kit seems like a lot, see: http://www.legendinc.com/Pages/MarbleheadNet/MM/Articles/EdGillette.html

Be your own support boat!

-Sam

Attachments

• mah_road_kit.jpg
    mah_road_kit.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 768
I carry super glue (known in the US as "Crazy glue" or similar?cyanoacrylate, anyway), because it's darned good for punctures. Find your leak and put a bead of glue over it, it'll bubble through the bead. Push the hole closed and hold for 20-30 seconds. Superglue will even hold the sides of a long slit together.

One thing that I found came in handy for me was Fix-A-Flat for bicycles. I know for a fact this works, I had to use it a couple of weeks ago when I had the rear tire go flat and I was 10 miles from home. Worked like a charm.

On the mule chopper, I have a 12v 3.2amp lead acid rechargeable battery powering a 20w halogen headlamp, a brake & tail lamp, flashers front and rear and a luverly loud horn from a moped. It also powers a little air-compressor from an auto store which I carry in the panniered back-pack. Haven't used it since fitting Huffy's thorn-proof tubes which are at least 3 times thicker than normal and only $15Aus each.

Cheers all!

What tools do you normally carry with you when riding?

your everyday trips with the bike?

Me, I've got an inner tube kit, one of the universal bike tools from wally world, and a CO2 cartridge inflator, rather than a pump, along with 4 CO2 cartridges (the same ones used in air rifles/pistols - 2 cartridges will pump up a 26x2.125 to about 50-60 psi in a heartbeat)

gday all, young kid came into the bike store the other day with thick as rubber hose cut long ways and placed in wheels between tube and tyre, home made industrial tuffy tape! check out MAXXIS holy roller tyres, good mixture of low rolling resistance and traction for all surfaces. I run tape linner, carry spare tube and patch kit. allen keys. shifter. screw driver and zip ties!
take life on like a mission!
rely on no one.

This holds a lot of tools:
IMG_2574.jpg
I'd open it and show ya, but then I'd have to stuff 'em back in there.

I put a leather roll under the seat of my Whizzer - I have one of the CO2 tire inflators, a self adhesive patch kit that came with three tire tools to get the tire off - a 10mm wrench that is open on one end and ratchets on the other. A multi-tip screwdriver, set of metric hex keys (only the ones I need), and this thing that is a combo adjustable wrench and pliers.

All in all the entire combo weighs just about 2 lbs - a good trade-off. Although I know Slime is often frowned upon, I was thinking of carrying a bottle and squeezing the whole darn thing in if I get a flat...just to get me home. I found that pedaling a 100lb Whizzer with my 200lb frame on top of it is no darn fun at all.... :LOL:

Back