Trek 4500/ GP460/ 8 speed SHIFTER

thanks Jerry,

i've decided to just route my cable in a loop along the top tube then a zip tie about 1/2 way down the seat tube then a connection to the lower frame tube behind the engine mount and up to the carb. it's a nice easy big circle, maitains full movement of the inner cable and has no drag or sticky spots.

cool little vid of the pedal configuration. that 22T -34T final is obviously just about right for THAT engine too.

how well does it keep pulling when you get up 2-3 more gears ? if you have a 22T you'll be very close to the 19.07 of the GEBE 14T overall. 23T might be better if that engine is 2-3 HP and about 8-9,000 rpm. speed you'll be able to maintain over terrain has more to do with torque though.

steve

throttle cables

so far i am very happy with that gear ratio , seems to have plenty of pickup I'm going to ride her to work tonight , its 4.4 miles one way , with a variety of terrain ,
no more builds for a week however , i'm packing up the shop and moving to new place starting today . got a nice place on the clackamas river , great salmon steel head fishing year around , went and got my fishing tags today , its going to be a great summer , been thinking of some sort of floating motorized bike project , ha ha ...

wow good for you !

the new neighbors going to be down with your 'hobbies " ?

i'm thinking.......... ocean kayak.......twin cyl. helicopter 2 cycle.............prop on end of 6 ft. shaft, like an amazon dugout.

tada............................................thewaterscooterguy......................... better hurry before i get the assemblers copyright !!

i will work them in slowly start with an electric bike , then a 4 stroke robins 35cc nice and quiet , then i will start mowing the lawn three times a week and lots of weed eating , when i run a bike he will never know , he will just think i like to mow my lawn . lol. my landlord lives next door , but i'm not worried I'm pretty mellow these days

The people along the Clack are mostly cool. Might still be some rednecks around Estacada. Beautiful area to ride.

great river i . i have rafted it many times , and fished it , but i plan on fishing everyday now , maybe put a bike on the bank sell a few to the thrill seekers that float by . but what i am looking forward to is the hoverbike i have had in my head since last summer , i already built the lift fan ... and then various experiments trying to create electricity from the motion of the water .

i will be before the end of the week for sure.

maybe even tonight. i need to go pickup my bottom mount bracket and fuel tank plate at the FAB shop. the guy that does the auto-cad for the waterjet there sneaks in small jobs for me, so they get done when they get done then i have to work out getting over there to pick them up.

i have pretty much everything else handled. the SLA battery for my light system needs a new home since i lost my triangle frame bag with this build. already have a new seat bag picked out, so will just need to run the wires and switches.

i'll have the completed pics and i hope a little vid soon.

steve

before i start working tonight and don't get this done, here's a few pics of my lower mount bracket. i still have to drill it for the retainer bolts but you get the idea.

the bracket is 3/16" alum. the inner measurement fits over the large portion of my oval lower frame tube. the tube is getting narrower as it go up toward the steering neck but this bracket is one size, straight and paralele with the sprocket and held there by the water bottle lugs.

the way the measurements and alingnments worked out what i do is bolt the bottom fast and then just bring the upper nut snug.

the output sprocket turns out in perfect alignment and "toe" with the lower sprocket.

got to get to work finishing this up,more pics later.

thanks,
steve

Attachments

• Trek Bike 004.jpg
    Trek Bike 004.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 298
  • Trek Bike 005.jpg
    Trek Bike 005.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 264
  • Trek Bike 006.jpg
    Trek Bike 006.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 292
  • Trek Bike 007.jpg
    Trek Bike 007.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 283
well fella's, IT RUNS !!

pedals fine, shifts up and down, runs nice and smooth.

have a couple finishing touches for the lights and i need to reweld the repositioned exhaust. then i'll have some pics.

thanks,
steve

Back