Trials and errors of operating a motorized bicycle

Thanks to you guys for your support! This site is so full of information.

I am a good mechanic but there is no way I could have gotten so far along the HT learning curve so quickly without this site.I am hoping that I can give decent feedback as to what works and what doesn't work.

First, I never planned to ride this motorbike in the rain. Still, I have been caught out a couple of times already and the bikebike was locked outside in a couple of serious downpours. I have read so many posts about concerns and warnings with regard to the stock kit CDI,but rain has had no negative effect whatsoever on my bike's performance. I was very seriously considering buying a high dollar CDI unit but that may not be necessary.

Also, though I hate it's appearance, the stock chain tensioner is working flawlessly. It must be adjusted fromtime to time,but that's easy and quick.I still have a killer idea for creating a "be all, end all" tensioner and I am gathering the parts for it, but the stock item is functioning well.

I have looked at several motorized bicycle parts sites and it's obvious that you could spend big bucks on your motorbike.I am honing the philosophy that one should maximize reliability and functionality with simple, cheap, creative fixes. If I were to start throwing money at this then,wouldn't make sense to just buy a motorcycle? There are too many cheap hardware pieces and too many junkyards full of usable materials to buy away every challenge! besides, I have a carbon fiber racing bike I need to maintain. My set of racing wheels cost more than all of the money I have dropped into this motorbike project!

Keep rollin'!

=Timbone=

Another thing to report: the cops are letting me ride!

One of the big sources of unreliability on these kits is the drive chain and rear sprocket. I would purchase a disc mount rear sprocket and quality 415 chain. Then, ditch the idler and angle your engine so that proper chain tension is maintained. I recommend using tube protectors as well. Check your engine head bolts for tightness with a torque wrench frequently over the first 250 miles. Finally, use blue lock-tite on the engine mounts and exhaust nuts. Total extra cost is probably less than $150.

With these changes, you will see your reliability increase a ton. I went from having break-downs each trip to riding for 100 miles without an issue. Good luck!

Having owned many types of motorized transport; high powered sports bikes being amongst the list, i can say that my motorized bicycle is "THE" most enjoyable thing i've owned and ridden.

It's got nothing to do with how much money is spent on the motorized bicycle concept, and everything to do with the fact that the handling dynamics...
A motorized bicycle is a heck of a lot more than just cheap transport. Crikey, my bike is worth about $5,000...

Of course, you are correct: I love how this bike handles. Much more bicycle than motorcycle!

And by all means, if your goal is a top notch motorbike, by all means, do your best to make it happen! I was discussing my evolving philosophy - one that I would never dream of imposing upon others. I am not a fan of orthodoxy anyway!

One the best things about my moto is that is absolutely one of a kind! I did it my way and I will allow it to evolve due to my decisions and choices. I am already thinking about how I will build my next project!

=Tbone=

Back