Triggering Street Lights

I have seen the magnet thing mentioned but I don't know that it works or not.

A coil of wire with a bit of juice run through it will work, but it's more of a hassle.
~

I would rather do an electro magnet via coil of wire that way people would see you push a button at a light and when the light instantly turns green they would think you are a GOD that solved all of life's hassles.
They will ask you important questions,and you will know the answers.

I have been wanting something like this. It sucks pulling onto the sidewalk to hit the Walk Button just to get a light.

Doesn't it just recognize the magnet as it would a full size auto???
I want to say no, because the sensor is an inductive loop and permanent magnets essentially don't display any inductance (at low frequencies).... but I'm not positively certain.

[edit]
.....In fact, I don't even think you'd need to hook the coil of wire to any power... Just connecting the coil ends to both ends of a capacitor should do it... Hmmm.....
~

Last edited by a moderator:
In that thread about "Miracle Lubricant", I mentioned the two cattle magnets that have followed me around for thirty years. I am sure they have more than 6 lbs. of magnetic pull !!

They are oblong, weigh about two ounces, shaped like a "bolus", have HIGH power to weight ratio. You take a balling gun, insert one per animal, and they collect all the nails, rusty wire, etc that a cow vacuums up grazing, stay in the upper stomach for the lifetime of the animal to prevent "hardware diseases", weigh enough where they never pass through the animals digestive system.

These magnets look perfect, my vet supply catalog says prices run from 1.89-3.00 each, a large animal veteranarian should have them.

I'm going to test it, there is ONE light in Cullman that bugs the tar out of me !! The shape of the bolus should fit perfect on one of my basket legs.

THANKS ROSCO !! :cool::cool::cool:

I always thought those strips sense weight,that the weight of a car pinches the metal. So every time I come to a light,I pump my brakes hopping my car and the light turns green.
On my motorized bicycle,I do bunny hops.

Yeah, I assumed it was weight too but recently realized I don't know a lot about a lot of things. That veterinary magnet thing sounds promising; thanks Bama and you Rosco for the thread.

Back