Trike / Cyclone build

hi pete if you go with the engine drive you should have no problem meeting your expectations,and leaving the electric will give you the speed needed to get the bike rolling fast enough .for the engine to take over, by that stage you probably wont even peddle anymore !!!!

At the moment i am having a honda 50cc friction drive kit made to put on my wifes trike (currently running 24v 350watt motor, nice on flats but drains too much on hills)as soon as i get it fitted i will post some info on it.

Last edited:
I have given a bit of thought to motorizing trikes. I think a TLE43 should easily do the job. CVT is a great idea. Trikes RULE.
How big is your front sprocket? I'm running a 62t (I think) and can pedal up to about 25mph without too much effort. I'm thinking of getting a mid-chain gear cluster to seriously raise the speed at which I can pedal.

My current driveline with the Cyclone is a 52t front, 34-11 rear running on a SRAM 3x9 hub. this give me the equivalent of a 40-52-68 front. My rear wheel is a 20"

The SRAM is drilled to take a disk brake, does anybody make an adapter to fit a LH freewheel to a standard disk PCD ? I would dearly love to keep my SRAM hub because I can pedal comfortably at 60 kph.

Otherwise I will have to change to a staton or similar, and refit multiple front chainrings. The boom looks nice with the single ring and chain guides. It would be a pity to refit the derailure

I'm not aware of anyone making such a freewheel. I agree that it would be ideal. Perhaps you could achieve an acceptable result with a freewheel on the output from the CVT? Not an ideal solution. If you do have to go with a hub, there are several considerations:

Most of the dual freewheel hubs will not accept a regular cassette, they use a freewheel cassette, and I've been unable to find a 34-11 freewheel cassette. Shimano discontinued them, and I've been unable to find one for sale.

On the positive side, I find I don't pedal much at low speeds except when the motor isn't running, and a TLE 43 isn't very likely to break down on you. Just make sure you don't run out of gas.

I would highly recommend having the WheelMaster build a wheel. The speeds that are achievable with the motor will stress the rear wheel in ways a bike wheel was never intended to be stressed. He can lace whatever hub you use to a serious moped style rim with #10 spokes. In my opinion it is well worth the extra weight.

The output shaft of the only CVT I have seen was splined. I have not seen any matching freewheels. Happy to be shown the light though :)

Check out Greenspeed for a 34-11 freewheel. I don't know if they still have stock, but an email will find that out quick enough.

The ebike crown have also been screaming for shimano to bring back the 34-11 megarange, but unless we can place an order for like 10,000 units, shimano just isn't interested.

With E / gas assist on the trike, I don't see it as a realistic pedal only option anymore. The weight is a bit annoying, but I am not far off my usual cruising speed without the extra weight. Problem is I just can't bring myself to ride THAT slow anymore :)

I will keep hunting for an ISO pattern freewheel adapter, surely I am not the only person who wants one ? Worst case I will just have to machine one up. The problem will be finding a freewheel with a large enough ID to leave room for the bolts. Maybe even a roller clutch if I can find one thin enough

Hi Alaskavan
I was wondering if you could tell me where you found your 62t front chainring? I have been looking for a larger chainring for my recumbent but haven't been able to find any larger than 56t. Thanks.
Butch

Rats. I can't remember just now. I remember having to search a lot. I know I got it from a shop that specializes in recumbent stuff. I'll look around and see if I can't find it again.

Ah, here's one: http://www.hostelshoppe.com/cgi-bin/readitem.pl?Accessory=1155076891

When you get into really large chainrings, you need to look closely at your chain run to make sure they will work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rats. I can't remember just now. I remember having to search a lot. I know I got it from a shop that specializes in recumbent stuff. I'll look around and see if I can't find it again.

Ah, here's one: http://www.hostelshoppe.com/cgi-bin/readitem.pl?Accessory=1155076891

When you get into really large chainrings, you need to look closely at your chain run to make sure they will work.

Thanks Alaskavan. That 62t chainring is exactly what I've been looking for. Decent price also.
Butch

whoops less PEDDLING and more pedal power, my one finger typing skills leave alot to be desired!!!!!

DE called last thrus, should have the kit any day now!!!!!

Back