Trimming clutch pads.

Axl Myk

Local time
9:34 AM
New member and bike owner here.
I picked up this bike from a fellow that apparently has a short set of mechanical skills. It was not running, and the clutch was toasted. I took the clutch and shaft completely apart, cleaned and greased the clutch spring assy and installed new bearings.

Now I'm to the point where I'm installing new pads. They need trimming to fit, and that is where my question comes in.
Should the pads be trimmed to fit snug in the gear, or loose enough to wiggle a bit.

Attachments

• 20200713_202559_copy_800x450.jpg
    20200713_202559_copy_800x450.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 152
  • 20200713_195134_copy_800x450.jpg
    20200713_195134_copy_800x450.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 155
The moving clutch plate will press them down onto the clutch backing plate: the fixed one at the back, on the clutch hub. They dont want to remain wedged in tightly against that, or there'll be a great deal of drag from them when you expect to be able to declutch and pedal. So the fit should be just loose enough to allow the clutch backing plate to spin without too much drag.. just loose enough that the pads don't keep pressure on it when they're not being pressed by the clutch plate.

I sand them down so that the wiggle in the cage. I also just made my own out of some old brake pads I had laying around the shop. No more clutch slip for me when my bike gets on the pipe.

Thanks, all.
I've been searching this, and many other sites for how to size them. I used a razor knife and brass block to trim thin slices from the sides. Like cutting a slice of cheese.

My next endeavor is to get the clutch ball bearings back in place and get the bike ready to start.

You made me want to get around to upgrading my clutch bearings too! 😅
I could do with stripping the whole thing down tbh, but it isnt the most urgent of many jobs. 🙄
This forum just makes me feel like immediately grabbing some tools and doing stuff to bikes. 😂

An arbor press helps make the job easier. I've had the back plate in the freezer between the beans and broccoli all night to shrink it a bit.

Back