Not open for further replies.

safe

Local time
3:52 PM
Triple Rewind of Unite 500W Motor

This is sort of a mirror of this thread:

http://www.ebikehub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=886&p=1546#p1546

http://www.motoredbikes.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=16384&d=1238282052.jpg

The idea is that when you alter the way these motors are wound (internally) it radically changes the behavior of the motor.

The short answer... there is a trick here for extreme power... (without overheating) :cool:

(I'll get back onto this thread later... follow the link if you are interested)

Attachments

• yhst-92821211804676_2043_83096760.jpg
    yhst-92821211804676_2043_83096760.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 2,189
Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmmmm... expected some replies...

Let me repeat what I've discovered here.

Basically the limiting factor for most electric motors is their heating. Heat is produced based on the formula:

Heat = Current * Current * Resistance

...so as you try to increase the current the heat rises dramatically. But resistance can also be a factor. If you could drop the resistance from the typical Unite motors level of about 200 mOhms - 500 mOhms down to the level that most RC motors run at (30 mOhms - 80 mOhms) then you could reduce the heat by that same amount.

The "trick" that I'm using is exploiting the difference beteween a series connected circuit verses a parallel connected one. When you divide the motor coils up into separate parallel winds this divides the current flow and that dramatically reduces the resistance. (for a Triple wind this means that only one third as much current flows through each of the coils in order to achieve the same magnetic field :unsure: )

So a 500 watt Unite motor can all of a sudden pull 1500 watts and not overheat. (no need for goofy air blowers to solve the problem you fix it with a change in the motors design) However, you do not ever get something for nothing and the penalty is that the motor now DEMANDS a higher current just to operate. The no load current increases dramatically. All of a sudden you get the added power, but at the expense of "fuel economy".

People who want sheer power should study this.

If it's of any help, on the last Triple rewind I managed to get this bike up to 58 mph on flat land.

http://www.ebikehub.com/forum/download/file.php?id=265.jpg

Hey Safe. I find that all pretty interesting but with the regs being what they are in regards to wattage and top speed for electric motorized bikes what application do you see this used for?

True... however, there are plenty of outlaws around and this will feed their outlaw lifestyle. :devilish:

The law says 750 watts output and that translates to about 1000 watts input. You can take somethng like a 350 watt Unite 1016Z3 and turn it into a very efficient (and cool running) 750 watt motor doing a Triple wind... and I've done that project too.

The whole idea is that the concept is SCALEABLE to whatever you want to do.

...if you want to change the amount of power a motor can create then your choices are overvolting or rewinding. Rewinding has the advantage that the rpm remains the same, so it's a more practical result. (however, rewinding is more technical than simply adding more batteries)

I'm just making people aware of the dimensions available to them.

Better to "know" than not to "know". :whistle:

----------------------------------------

There are hub motor people and RC motor people that pride themselves in big power output and this shows how the humble little Unite motor can deliver performance that equals what these more expensive options can achieve.

You can buy this 500 watt Unite motor for $44.49

http://www.monsterscooterparts.com/ramxmo.html

-----------------------------------------

There is also a "stealth" aspect to this trick. You can rewind the motor and nothing is visibly changed. The humble little WalMart ebike can all of a sudden produce twice the power without adding any heat related problems. For those that want more power, but want to appear legal this also is a good thing to do. (overvolting can be detected, but this cannot without taking the motor apart) Those that want to seriously trick out their WalMart bike might overvolt and rewind at the same time while increasing the battery. That way you increase the speed and power at the same time. Many ebikes are designed to pull more current (stock) than the motor is ideally designed for. Going from Single to Double often can increase power while improving efficiency (no load current increases however) without needing to change the controller at all.

There are many options to pick from...

Ebike motor and battery design is an artform... you have many choices that you can pick from and it's up to you to design a custom configuration that fits the needs you have for the bike.

Last edited:
Thanks for that explanation. I am a bit in the dark about electric currently but see the need for it for some markets. Having the most efficient motor for the best price is certainly the way to go as I see bikes like the $8k Optibike as nothing more than a rich boys toy and not the answer to get more people involved in using them as cheap efficient transport. Keep up the good work.

The Optibike is like the Tesla Roadster... they are both technically brilliant and too expensive for the masses.

Eventually the technology will trickle down to the more entry level ebikes.

But in some cases, for something like a WalMart ebike, the low tech, poor performing technology makes more sense because of the price.

-------------------------------

The Optibike demonstrates the perfect application of all known technologies applied in the most artistic way. While I'm sure someday it will be eclipsed (advances are inevitable) it represents a high standard for the rest of us.

Rewinding a motor is a way to reconfigure the "cheap stuff" to do things that it wasn't really designed for. Like overvolting it's a way to alter the performance of something that comes with performance that is poor.

It's really all about the $$$... rewinding makes for the poor mans "hot rod"...

Last edited:
technical

i would like to know how to wind a motor like that?is there a low budget explanation?does this mean you have to upgrade the output shaft for more demand of power and or torque?thanks.

This is now my third rewind of a motor into a Triple.

This was my second rewind project from a Single to a Triple... the MY1016Z3:

http://www.motoredbikes.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=16415&stc=1&d=1238356334.jpg

...if you look carefully at the photo you can see the three layers of windings one on top of the other all connected at the center three times. A Single wind only connects the wires at the center once, but a Double does it twice and a Triple does it three times. With each connection it divides the current and that reduces the overall motor resistance. (it's like a series set of resistors verses a parallel set of resistors... the parallel has less resistance as a circuit)

I've taken these Unite motors to way beyond their ratings and the bearings never fail. The MOST likely thing to fail is always the brushes because they carry the current. This is why the brushless motor is really the way to go in the long term. But for a cheap way to get to big power this is the way to go. (that and overvolting)

Just watch the thread develop... I tend to do things slowly so it might take a week or more before it's done. It's hard to say... I'm not in a big hurry. (so you need to be patient and just watch)

The original thread is here:

http://www.ebikehub.com/forum/viewto...6&p=1546#p1546

...and this is a mirror to allow people to discuss what I'm doing from this forum. I'm kind of doing this in a sloppy way, but maybe afterwards I'll redo it as a clean "Build Tutorial". However, as the weather gets better I tend to not want to post as much as I'd rather be working on the bikes.

Attachments

• file.php?id=373.jpg
    file.php?id=373.jpg
    339.7 KB · Views: 1,852
Your work is truly amazing!

I can't understand going through all that trouble with the motors. I have run winding machines before and its not really something I could image doing it by hand. Why not just buy a 1500w motor? Power to weight? I don't think so because your running SLA's. Cost? Obviously not because, it looks like your spending a ton of money? Hiding form the electric bike police? It doesn't look like that bike is trying to hide.

One thing for sure I don't have to understand it, just admire it!

Excellent stuff safe...

ozzyu812 you will be VERY surprised how much money
safe doesnt spend he is probably the most frugal guy i have
ever met LoL...he is all about doing thing 'cheaply' everything
you see was done by him in his garage at home alot of the parts
were sourced from curbside :) You might also be surprised to hear
he doesn't have a 'flash' mig welder like some of us
:: puts up hand :: lol the bikes pictured were all
welded with oxy an acetylene welder!

The first bike pictures in the OP (with fairing) was made
to meet Federal U.S law ie. 750watt max with
operational pedals... bike pictured second was the first bike which
is LEGAL in the state where safe resides, it wouldn't be
classed as 'legal' in all U.S states.

Sure these bikes aren't going to be great for general commuting,
that's not what they are designed for, if you want a bike to run to
the shops a mountain bike would be the better choice obviously.
These bikes are all about speed/fun...GREAT 'toy' to
add to the garage IMHO has been an eye opener watching safe
put these bikes together to, breaking something fixing it modifying
it to work better and be stronger etc...it is a learning process i guess
and interesting to follow IMO... ANYONE that takes on the challenge of
building a bike from scratch getz my respect without question, i
know how difficult it is and the headaches and problems
encountered :: sigh :: in the end though when you do have a finished
bike and take a step back to marvel on your achievements it is a
GREAT feeling knowing YOU made it ;-)

Shall continue to follow with interest keep up the excellent
work mate ;-)