Troubleshooting and Chain Skipping

Maybe this will get the replies your looking for
Welcome everyone,

I recently put together another 2 stroking motorized bike (100cc) and had the worst time doing so. Two months ago, I’ve run into a huge problem that I need help with. The chain on my bike wobbles way too much and skips when the engine is idling. It's pretty much annoying because I want the bike to run smoothly at all times.

I’m looking forward to hearing your insights and finding a solution soon
BTW keep it short, this crowd has a short attention span :ROFLMAO:

Knowledge can only be absorbed in the printed form if one is able to even read it to begin with.

This is not something anyone is going to read.
Let's also talk about this 'fluff' someone mentioned. What exactly do you mean by that? My post was carefully crafted with some time and effort, covering all the necessary details. It took me several hours to put together, so pardon me if I'm not exactly in the mood for jokes right now. Let's aim for something constructive. I ensured clarity and provided every fact, not just for myself but for our collective understanding. Criticism can be valuable, but there's a fine line between something constructive and outright disrespect. Constructive criticism is about growth and improvement, rooted in empathy and respect. It's crystal clear there's a lack of empathy and maturity in your approach. Your criticism definitely inhibits collaboration and fosters pessimism. Let's not sacrifice thoroughness for brevity, shall we?

Well buddy, you're in luck! It's the last few days of school and I got bored doing nothing in my english class, so I decided to read a little more into your thread on my computer. On my phone I found it very difficult to read, please use larger text size, don't bold and italicize the words, and don't have a giant wall of text, those are particularly hard for us to read. Another thing is when people try to suggest you do these kinds of things please don't be insulting, especially to our moderators. Thanks.

You weren't specific on what kind of engine you are working with as you mentioned a 100cc two stroke, but from reading your post I am guessing this bike has a 4 stroke.

Now to get to your issues. You are way overcomplicating this. The chian having issues would not be related to balance issues with either the internals or overall balance of your bike.

The engine mounts for the four stroke bikes I have heard are not very great, so that is a possibility. Although you claimed to have checked this, so have many others before you and they have found the mount to be problematic. If this is the case upgrading all the hardware is about the best you can do.

The chain itself could be worn, however you never mentioned how long and how much you have ridden, so this factor is undeterminable. The stock tensioners are a problem, they don't work well and they often destroy people's wheels. I personally cut the chain to length and tension it as if it where a motorcycle (using the adjustment in the rear dropouts). If you aren't able to do so, the arc type tensioners are the best.

You mentioned aligning the wheel on the bike. That is important, but not as important as chain alignment. The wheel can be offset from the center of the bike to get proper chain alignment if need be. Just because the wheel is centered it doesn't mean that your chain is. If the chain looks to be riding to one side of the sprocket it is not properly aligned.

My main theory is you have poor sprocket alignment. Not only between the drive and driven sprockets, but the rear sprocket likely isn't centered on the hub causing an up and down wobble. This will cause the chain to tension more at one part of the sprocket's rotation and looser at another. this will make the chain make noise and a jerking while riding if it is bad enough. This can and will destroy your rear wheel too.

Not that I have given my 2 cents on your chain issue, I'll now address your idle issue. The wheel should rotate slightly at idle when lifted off the ground, but not any more than a slow rotation. If it rotates fast your idle is too high or you have clutch issues. To properly adjust idle turn the idle screw down until the engine dies, then turn it in half a turn and see if it will idle. If not, go another half turn.

I ask that you please be more respectful, especially when asking for help. We are a pretty fun and helpful crowd if you don't pi$$ us off.

Let's also talk about this 'fluff' someone mentioned. What exactly do you mean by that? My post was carefully crafted with some time and effort, covering all the necessary details. It took me several hours to put together, so pardon me if I'm not exactly in the mood for jokes right now. Let's aim for something constructive. I ensured clarity and provided every fact, not just for myself but for our collective understanding. Criticism can be valuable, but there's a fine line between something constructive and outright disrespect. Constructive criticism is about growth and improvement, rooted in empathy and respect. It's crystal clear there's a lack of empathy and maturity in your approach. Your criticism definitely inhibits collaboration and fosters pessimism. Let's not sacrifice thoroughness for brevity, shall we?
I don't see an issue with @DAMIEN1307 's response. His first comment naturally had some humor in it, however it was intirely true. He was not trying to be insulting until you responded with hostility. Most of us are trying to help between work, classes, working on our bikes, or all of the above. I understand you went through alot of time to construct your post, and there is quite a bit of usefull information and good trouble shooting, however the post is very long, quite repetative, and the very large paragraph at the end is very difficult to read.

You should of used all those hours to fix your chain :LOL:

Fluff was just a way of saying all of that Blah Blah Blah was getting in the way of your chain skipping question

BTW please don't try and impress us by posting all your knowledge of M/Bs on your first post, after all, you can't even fix your chain

Back