Engine Trouble Troubleshooting help needed after the first 30-40 minutes of riding a new ebay motor

On another note, I noticed that after I come to a stop and pull the clutch in, it seems like it takes alittle too long for the idle to come down to the normal level. I've tried adjusting the idle knob so that it idles normally when stopped but when I transition or even at a stand still when I rev the engine, it seems like something is causing it to idle too much for a couple extra seconds before going to normal. Also something with this engine doesn't seem excatly right. I want to say its some kind of knocking but its not knocking. Its just kinda loud or really new

coil died more than likely because it has that silly white wire attached and hooked up as the killswitch. more than enough threads on that topic.

you learnt something. check the basics before pulling things apart...ie, spark ;)

you learnt something else...the shop doesnt care about you or your bike, but they do care about getting the $70 for a (useless) carb + labour from you!

go back to the stock NT carb, as someone mentioned. cheap basic simple and do the job.

final lesson.

if it revs high before settling down to idle, its too LEAN.

if it slows right down, often even stalling, then picks up a bit at idle...its rich.

lean (what you got by the sounds of it) is either the carb setting, or an air leak.

You need to spend a lot of time reading up on how a carburettor works and then how a 2-stroke engine works before even going any further with your project.

More things are going to go wrong than just the carburettor, so you'll be screwed if anything else goes wrong, which it will.

I spend 3 weeks reading everything and anything on these engines before i even put a spanner to my bicycle engine kit, and i hindsight i should have spent 6 weeks reading about these engines and all of the problem issues that they suffer from.

Dotcom, you need to read Jaguar's info on Dellorto carbs, the RT you have is a clone of the SHA and he has much experience with this carb. I think all newbies burn up a mag coil or two, it's part of the learning curve.

Back