Trying to get nut off bolt

daveet66

Local time
2:40 AM
I was trying to tighten all bolts on my sprocket when i noticed one nut and bolt is 3/8 the rest 7/16 trying to unscrew it it went halfway stopped now wont tighten or loosen! How do i get that SOB off?

you'll need to get a hacksaw in there - the nuts with large flange on them also have locking tabs inside the threads - they need to be put on slowly by hand or they will lock up before even getting all the way on - often they can never be taken off

I bought 500 nyloc nuts to use for these when needed. They are M6x1.0 thread. Strength is 4.8, but I order 8.8 in nyloc.

When I sell a kit, if customer looks ham-fisted, I'll often take stock nuts out of kit and give him the nylocs : )

you'll need to get a hacksaw in there - the nuts with large flange on them also have locking tabs inside the threads - they need to be put on slowly by hand or they will lock up before even getting all the way on - often they can never be taken off

I bought 500 nyloc nuts to use for these when needed. They are M6x1.0 thread. Strength is 4.8, but I order 8.8 in nyloc.

When I sell a kit, if customer looks ham-fisted, I'll often take stock nuts out of kit and give him the nylocs : )
So that's what's up with those friggen nuts! I offhandedly notice that some would lock up almost immediately when using a drill, but if I did it very slowly it would just go together like it wasn't an issue.. Then lock up. I thought I was crazy when I decided to just always replace them with quarter 20 and matching lock nuts, for my sanity when somebody brought a bike back to me, that weather is really starting to pick up, I'm seeing more and more motorized bikes out now, saw a couple today while driving too.

Back