Trying to make my 4 cycle 50cc 2.5 hp Honda engine more quiet.

wheresthepassion

Local time
9:17 AM
Hey guys, just putting up a post in order to seek out some knowledge from you crazy bikers! I have this new engine, a honda 50cc 2.5 hp and I love it. However I bought this motor mainly do to the advertising of how quiet it is. But for me it is not quiet enough. I have googled for awhile now, looking at silencers, mufflers, end caps and etc. But I cannot seem to find anything that is made to fit the pre installed muffler that came with the engine. I really do not want to take away from any of my power, specially speed. But the high pitch buzzing drives me nuts. I could even deal with having something that would change the sound a bit, lower it to a rumble, rather then an annoying buzzing sound. Anyhow, I am mainly seeking to creat a stealth ride. So if anyone has any information or owns one of these engines and has tweeked it out to make it more quiet. I would love to hear any suggestions you might have. Oh yeah, I am a school teacher, I would like to keep the cost under $100.00 if possible.

Honda exhaust

Hi "Teach" I ran my Honda with the can on it for test purposes, tho that can is unacceptable as a Motor bicycle exhaust system! IF you put a flex-pipe (or curved head pipe) out of the can, or replaced the can with a system, you will find that the best thing for the rider is to put the sound (and contaminants) well behind you not in front.

Have you done any experimentation? What drive system are you using?

Mike

Can you (or anybody having a similar Honda unit) shoot us a picture or two of the exhaust and the plastic opening in the housing that is around it?

There was some experimentation with metal conduit (some Canadian even had a conduit inside of another piping, for "double walled" muffling, iirc). Was it Beast up in Vancouver maybe?

The other items involved were a hole the size of a straight edge screwdriver to fit into, to tighten a really small hose clamp on the outside of the conduit. The inside of the conduit attached to the exhaust with that glue that radio controlled airplane's use.

I recall that Loquin played around with mufflers based on a Swiss design originally for small planes,so did Kerf I think.Check out their threads&posts,it's worth doing .

Are you sure it is the exhaust ?,have someone listen with a piece of tubing connected to one ear, plug other ear & try to locate sound source(s).You could be surprised.

You can check out what I did using just copper pipe, I had to fabricate or suffer a burnt rear end(the exhaust points forward and is close, real close. The tip was cut at an angle just to look cool. a pic can be seen either in the gallery or my demographic page. I love this engine, but had to defeat the oil sensor for it to work correctly. Next I am wondering how/whether to mess with the governor or not.

My 4 stroke exhaust is 3/4" soldered copper pipe connected to the stock muffler with a 1/2" to 3/4" copper adapter. I had to file down the muffler outlet a little to get the 1/2" copper fitting slide over it.The first 3/4" joint is not soldered. A bracket holds it in place. The pipe has 2 90 degree turns to make it down under the engine mount where it makes a 45 degree turn on the left side then straight back past the rear axle. The pipe does not get hot enough to melt the soldered joints.

I have thought about connecting a Briggs&Stratton type muffler to the end of the copper tail pipe.

I attached 3 pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_01.JPG
    IMG_01.JPG
    165.7 KB · Views: 1,493
  • IMG_02.JPG
    IMG_02.JPG
    191.9 KB · Views: 1,600
  • IMG_03.JPG
    IMG_03.JPG
    185.5 KB · Views: 1,531
Back