Tube brand - recommendations

Rusty_S85

Local time
3:49 AM
What is a good brand tube? I bought some Tac9 tubes off amazon and I found out today one must have blown out on me just sitting as there is a 7" long slice in the side of the tube and the tire beads are outside of the rim in this area indicating a instant blow out.

So I am looking for something thick and heavy duty and will be durable. I run a rim band as well as a Mr Tuffy tire liner.

Size I'm looking at is for a 26x2.125" tire.

Try a reputable mountain bike parts supplier...i know you can get heavy duty tubes that are a bit thicker than standard...any reputable shop will carry a quality tube.

You are using the rubber bands around the inside of the rim, right?

Yep I have the rim bands installed as well as a brown Mr Tuffy tire liner to prevent punctures. That was done as a safety precaution since if I ride the bike to work the street my work is on there is a bunch of screws and nails and misc junk that falls off the scrap trucks that aren't secure down.

Schwalbe and Kenda come to mind for quality tubes..atleast they are quality tire makers from what i recall.

You are using the rubber bands around the inside of the rim, right?
Ugh rubber rim tape. I was kicking myself for not paying enough attention to the rim tape and just leaving on the rubber Kenda rim tape in my wheels. I would never intentionally use them, but they had been adequate for the whole time I had the wheelset and they didn't seem that bad, they had some reinforcement thread in them. Then the front one blew through at the spoke hole (at 75psi) and wasted my new and expensive Slime tube.
I fixed it with a strip of gorilla tape under the Kenda rim tape, but I haven't done anything with the rear yet.

What is a good brand tube? I bought some Tac9 tubes off amazon and I found out today one must have blown out on me just sitting as there is a 7" long slice in the side of the tube and the tire beads are outside of the rim in this area indicating a instant blow out.

So I am looking for something thick and heavy duty and will be durable. I run a rim band as well as a Mr Tuffy tire liner.

Size I'm looking at is for a 26x2.125" tire.
The bead didn't become unseated because the tube blew. The tube blew because the bead wasn't properly seated. I'ts quite the surprise when it happens while your inflating it. Scared the crap out of me.

Right now I have Tac9 which is just a reboxed Kenda tube. Guess I will stick with them then. If I order now I can have it via amazon prime by Sunday.

I just don't know why this happened. Some are thinking my tire came off the rim first which then blew the tube out. I don't think so cause if that was the case if the bead was crap on the tire or the rim it should have came apart on me going 15 mph down the street and making turns.

Now that's interesting.. I recall that the online world seems to have mixed feelings about tyre liners, chafing issues. Can you tell where the part of the tube that split would have sat? Could it be chafing on the edge of the liner? Is the liner too rough, too square, or the wrong size?
http://www.bikeforums.net/commuting/314294-mr-tuffy-s-cause-flats.html

The tire liner is slick side towards the tube rough ribbed side is to the tire. The brown tire liner is the proper size for a 26x2.125 tire. It looks like where the slice is it could have been up against the tube. But it comes back to the tire wasn't flat when I parked it last night so a 7 to 8 inch long slice in the tube if it was caused by the tire liner it should have happened while it was being moved right? A 7 to 8" long slice in the tube that is holding 60 psi of air would have went flat instantly.

But in any case if people think I should toss the tire liners I can. Wouldn't take much to deflate the rear tire and pull the liner out. I only invested in it as there were overwhelming reviews that they work great. But maybe it did cause the front tire to go flat. Just don't see why the rear hasn't blown out like the front since it spent more time sitting.

Had it happen to a friend.. we had been drinking in a city centre pub for about an hour, after riding BMX in town... Having a nice relaxed time.. then BANG! and everyone in the place hit the floor. :eek:
SO embarrassing. I was glad it was my friend's bike not mine lol. :oops:
I guess the temperature went up and with it the pressure. We apologised profusely. :oops::oops::oops:

Back