Tubes

MADHATTER88

Local time
2:30 AM
Whats your guys opinion on these smart tubes if the picture loaded up thats the one i bought to try on my back rim. was in the bike lane on the highway two days ago and some clearly maliciouse person had glass spread all across it id have swerved into the road but there was a car comming i lost my back tire about 4km from home.i picked up a patch kit for my bag now and patched the old tube incase i lose another tire.i havent had any expereince with these smart tubes just wondering your guys thoughts and experiences with them.

Attachments

• 20170624_115418.jpg
    20170624_115418.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 103
seen them slow down the flat with tiny pin-prick - never seen them do anything but make a mess for real holes

So the spare tube is still essential i wont be able to patch it if it gets messy

I have one customer that uses solid tubes - really rough ride on bumps and hard to get a tire that fits it tight, but he's worn 3 tires down till they came apart in the cord without ever being stranded.

Ill suffer flats over a rough ride over long distance ill just prepare for the worst and hope for the best

Ill suffer flats over a rough ride over long distance ill just prepare for the worst and hope for the best
So from my experience of going long distances on a pedal bike with a lot of cargo weight I have settled on this arrangement:

Slime tube in the rear, maybe in the front.

Spare conventional tube (1 or 2 of).

Puncture repair kit with a good abrasive roughener thing, fresh glue!, and both the tapered-edge ready-cut instant self-adhesive patches and also a large piece of glue-on patch (and a few cut pieces).
Small piece of dish sponge with the plastic scourer side.
Small piece of an artist's pastel pencil to mark pin pricks because a wax crayon is useless.

I'm still using small hand pumps but I'd like to get a decent mini track pump sometime.

A strong belt thrown over a signpost is usually how I lift the bike to change the tube when turning the bike upside down is impractical.

That belt and sign idea is pure genius sir ive got levers spare tube patch kit and the rear is a slime tube now as i bought it may as well use it

That belt and sign idea is pure genius sir ive got levers spare tube patch kit and the rear is a slime tube now as i bought it may as well use it
Wasn't my idea to use the belt just a bit of ancient bike touring wisdom I've picked up. :)
They are good but heavier and bulkier to carry so I use a conventional tube as the spare and carry the tiny piece of scourer to help clean up the slime tube if it comes to that. :)

Back