Tucson Police Department Harassment

cactusamigo

Local time
8:27 AM
Police response times to serious crimes have increased due to "budget/manpower" restrictions. However, TPD has sufficient budget and manpower to harrass operators of motorized bikes.

During the last two weeks, three people have told me that they were stopped by TPD officers for operating their bikes at 24-25mph, had their bikes IMPOUNDED, and received numerous associated citations. In each case, these individuals had previously lost their drivers licenses for various reasons, and their motorized bikes were their only means of transportation to their jobs.

I do not advocate breaking the law, but this is absurd beyond reasonable belief. The punishment in no way fits the "crime". I think that it is immoral for the government to target and screw people who are trying to put their lives in order.

The legal speed limit for a motorized bike is 19mph. If you are caught exceeding this, you can expect to be cited for operating a moped in a bike lane, having no registration, no insurance, and no drivers license (if you do not have one). In addition, your bike will be IMPOUNDED, with a costly process to recover it.

This type of gestapo police activity is an infringement on all of our freedoms, not just those driving motorized bikes. All who read this should demand of their city council representatives that that fathead TPD police chief be held accountable for the proper allocation of his funding resources and manpower for the protection of the community. Last year, 113 TPD officers earned more than $100,000 because of "overtime". Now we have cops with so much time on their hands that they have to harrass riders of motorized bikes. Time for the citizens to kick the asses of the bureaucrats wasting taxpayers money when we are all being pinched by the current economy. I don't want cops wasting my money busting people riding bikes, motorized or not!

Last edited by a moderator:
"This type of gestapo police activity is an infringement on all of our freedoms..." could it be that the cops have been getting complaints about how fast people are riding? So, then they decide to crack down. Remember your "freedoms" stop when you go too far and break a law.

I'm not slamming you or the other riders. I have gone over the speed limit for bikes here in Florida. But I don't do it often or for a very long distance. But it DOES seem like those guys were drawing attention to themselves.

Terry

Any bicycle can exceed 20mph on a downhill grade. Motorized bikes are only prohibited from being able to go over 20 on motor power alone. In the real world, it's difficult to say that slopes and tailwinds aren't having some effect at any given time.

If the folks getting hassled by the cops were only doing 24-25mph, then it seems like it would be easy to make a case to the court that other factors were involved. Of course, taking it to court is yet another hassle.

Chalo

No one gets their car impounded for exceeding the speed limit by 5 or 6 miles per hour. These speeds are common for non-motorized bikes. The only attention drawing feature was the motor. These guys were all stopped by motorcycle cops who called a wrecker to haul away their bikes. I still maintain the punishment was more than severe, especially considering the time, manpower, and cost involved, in view of police manpower and budgetary constraints in the current economy. Each individual is going to court to challenge the action. I'l l report the results when I hear from them.

Whatever the law, and I see that MB's are in fact legal, if riding a motorized bike over the speed limit even by 30 mph, does NOT justify impounding, unless something else was involved..ie DUI, not even running a stop sign warrants impounding. The MOST a ticket issued and told to peddle home (which I doubt). If I was driving my truck at 120mph in a 70mph zone, I would be issued just a ticket unless DUI, or reckless driving. Although the ticket might not be just for speeding, but possibility a careless driving ticket and I'm on my way. Over zealous to say the least.

I wonder if your local police have discovered that many people with suspended drivers license are using MB's for transportation. Word soon gets around and a MB becomes a red flag. No DL, do us all a favor and take the bus.

well, while I might personally think that the speed law is extreme (19 mph speed limit on a vehicle that can exceed that because of a quick gust of wind or a sudden downgrade), if they are operating them without a DL, that is an active violation of the law. Sorry, I can't stand behind that.

if they are operating them without a DL, that is an active violation of the law. Sorry, I can't stand behind that.
You do not need a drivers license in AZ to ride a motorized bike,
but if you go over 20 mph they throw the book at you.

ARIZONA HB 2796

START_STATUTE
28-2516. Motorized electric or gas powered bicycles or tricycles; definition

A. Notwithstanding any other provision of this title:

1. A certificate of title is not required for a motorized electric or gas powered bicycle or tricycle.

2. Registration is not required for a motorized electric or gas powered bicycle or tricycle.

3. Vehicle license tax is not imposed on a motorized electric or gas powered bicycle or tricycle.

4. A motorized electric or gas powered bicycle or tricycle is exempt from the provisions of section 28-964 relating to required equipment on motorcycles and motor-driven cycles and from the provisions of title 49, chapter 3, article 5 relating to vehicle emissions inspections.

5. A driver license is not required to operate a motorized electric or gas powered bicycle or tricycle.

6. A motorized electric or gas powered bicycle or tricycle may use rights-of-way designated for the exclusive use of bicycles.

7. A motorized electric or gas powered bicycle or tricycle is not subject to chapter 9 of this title.

B. For the purposes of this section, "motorized electric or gas powered bicycle or tricycle" means a bicycle or tricycle that is equipped with a helper motor that has a maximum piston displacement of forty-eight cubic centimeters or less, that may also be self-propelled and that is operated at speeds of less than twenty miles per hour.

END_STATUTE

Last edited:
Back